Squeeling noise on front end of my XLT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Squeeling noise on front end of my XLT

press-start

Reaction score
City, State
Torrevieja, Spain
Year, Model & Trim Level
99XLT
Hi, can anyone help. Ive got a 99XLT thats developed a squeek/squeel. Its noticed more at very low speed and is coming from the front end. The discs and pads were worn so I replaced them hoping this would cure it but it didnt. It sounds like the sort of noise you would get from a worn UJ or driveshaft, but there are no other symptoms eg. vibration. Is there anything that needs lubricating on the front suspension or drive shafts? Ive heard this noise on some other Explorers but mine getting quite loud. My wife says turn the radio up, but I would prefer to fix it. Maybe theres a thread somewhere in the forum on this problem.

Also can anyone tell me the sequence to dis-able the auto door locking?

Thanks a lot and what a great site!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is the squeal only when you start up the vehicle?, sit in idle?, A squeal from the front could be anything. I need more details on when and where it is happening.

Check your owners manual on how to disable the auto lock. I can't remember exactly how but I know it is in the owners manual. It has something to do with turning the key in the ignition on and off a certain amount of times.

According to my UK 98 book it says:

To disable the auto locking as follows.

Make sure that the anti-theft system is not armed, the ignition is off and all the doors including the tailgate and its window are closed.

Steps 1 to 5 must be completed within 30 seconds or the procedure will have to be repeated. Before repeating, wait 30 seconds.

1. Turn the ignition on.
2. Press the door unlock button 3 times.
3. Turn the ignition off.
4. Press the door unlock button 3 times.
5. Turn the ignition on; the horn will sound.
6. Press the unlock button, then press the lock button. The horn will sound once if the autolock system has been deactivated or twice (one short, one long) if the system has been activated.
7. Turn the ignition off. The horn will sound once to confirm the procedure is complete.

Hopefully this is the same on yours.

Auto door locking dis-able

Thanks Howard, thats the sequence I need to turn off the auto locking.

chriswells78...re:noise

The squeeling noise is nothing to do with the engine. It only happens when the car is rolling, either in drive or neutral. It sounds like metal on metal, a high pitched whistle or sometimes a squeek -squeek that increases with road speed. Its worse when cold. I think possibly a semi dry bearing, but where?
Best regards..........Phil

front ball joints are known to go dry and squeal as they have no grease nipple in them. a common problem so im told. cheapest replacements i have found from us automotive, st martins way, cambridge road ind est, bedford, uk. have also been told that a good engineer can drill and tap the top and fit a grease nipple, but for £48 each is it worth it.

I'm guessing that a wheel bearing is about to go out since the noise increases with speed in both drive and neutral. If it was a ball joint or some other suspension/steering, it would only squeak when the vehicle is "bouncing" like over a bump or someone getting in or out of the vehicle.

Have you recently had the bearings replaced or done them yourself? If so whoever did them might not have gotten enough grease packed down into the bearing. If they haven't been serviced lately, you have a bearing going bad, it needs to be replaced.

I guess it could be a dragging brake pad or something to do with the brakes is another possibility. I have not done brakes on an Explorer yet but on some cars they have little metal clips made out of spring steel that hold the pad in place. Cometimes these can break or come loose and cause the pad to lean into the rotor or a piece of the clip itself could be rubbing the rotor. I hope this helps.

thanks , I will check the wheel bearings and the ball joints and see if anything is dry here.......Best regards..Phil

The inner hub seals on some 99's were known to squeal, most notably at temperatures under 20 degrees. Sounded just like metal on metal.

You may want to replace them. Ford calls for synthetic wheel bearing grease in the hubs, use quite a bit as they also squeal when they dry out.

squeel from drive shafts

Ive had the wheels off and the squelling noise is definately coming from the end of the front driveshafts at the wheel end, beneath the rubber gaitor.
Can I remove the gaitor and re-grease this joint , if so what grease should I use? If not does it mean driveshaft replacement? The cars only done 42000m

Back