Stalling when in drive with any load | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Stalling when in drive with any load

L1ft3d

Reaction score
City, State
Apple valley California
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 mercury mountaineer
1999 mercury mountaineer stalling and bogging

I started the truck up and idles fine. When in drive if givin to much gas it Bogs and stalls out. I have already replaced
MAS
fuel pump
Fuel filter
it is giving me 10 codes one of them is a p0303 witch is cylinder 3 misfire.

Please help me this is my only car and I just got a new job

#living the dream

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

More info would be helpful. PO303 is a pretty general code and can mean anything from a fuel, ignition or mechanical problem. What are the other codes?

P0135
P0155
P0171
P0755
P0760
P1747
P1409
P1451

#livingthedream

Going to just start changing parts like egr and iac next I am so stumped

#mylife

EGR, PCV, and EVAP. You're basically getting codes for every emissions system.
I'd do a smoke test and see if you just have a large vacuum leak driving most of the codes.

Do you think it could possibly be coil packs
And I don't have a smoke machine just starting fluid

You can make a smoker for about $20.

Google it, you'll be surprised just how easy it is.

MT

A two pack of Swisher Sweets, a vacuum T, and a length of hose. T into a line at the manifold, lead the extra hose to the front, puff on cigar, blow smoke into hose, place thumb over hose between puffs. By the time the cigar is done if you have a leak the smoke will be pouring out of it everytime you blow. $5 and no risk of setting things on fire.

I tried both and found no leaks and replaced throttle positioning sensor as well with no avail

it was the egr fuse ****ing stupid thanks to everyone I appreciate the help so much and will keep posting updates on this forum

Wow, surprised you got that many faults from just the fuse without hemorrhaging air. Be sure to service you're EGR system while you're poking around.

Thanks I did it has a lot of carbon build up and I am still getting a couple codes but stalling and sputter are gone. I also see a lot more power with the change of the fuel pump and filter.

#living the dream

Probably had a bit of that servicing past due regardless of the fuse issue.

Most definitely I am going to start putting everything new. That way I can know it was done and done right. But for some reason I am only getting the codes above 1000 that I posted previously. I d k why they are coming up tho

It has no more check engine light guys..... now on the other hand. When I am pressing the throttle while it is going up a steep incline it flashes a check engine light. Let me know if anyone think can think of something?

Hashtag confused

It has no more check engine light guys..... now on the other hand. When I am pressing the throttle while it is going up a steep incline it flashes a check engine light. Let me know if anyone think can think of something?
Flashing (not briefly turning on, but repeated fast flashing) means a misfire.

Hook up your timing light to one plug wire at a time. Give it a rev while holding the trigger and see if the flash is broken up. One by one see if you can figure where the issue is.
If it's been a while, you may just want to go ahead with a new coil, plugs and wires. They are part of regular maintenance after all.

I got a p0303 code could that mean cylinder 3 and, if so what might be causing it? it also has an exausht rattle. I will be looking into a lot of little issues.

=•)

it was the egr fuse ****ing stupid thanks to everyone I appreciate the help so much and will keep posting updates on this forum
Where was the fuse located i tried to look it up no luck and what model is your truck i have a 97

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back