Starter grind only on cold start? 05 XLT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Starter grind only on cold start? 05 XLT

AFradartech813

Reaction score
City, State
Goldsboro, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer XLT 4x4
As the title states, when i start the truck on a cold start, and only a cold start, i get a grinding/squealing noise that sounds like when you would try and start the truck when it is already running. This lasts for a second or two, and then goes away. After the truck warms up and i drive somewhere and start it again, it doesn't do it at all. Only when the truck is cold. When the weather is warmer, generally above 50 degrees, it doesn't happen at all. Has anyone experienced this? I can clarify some info if needed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Load test the battery, see if the cold has taken a toll on it.

As the title states, when i start the truck on a cold start, and only a cold start, i get a grinding/squealing noise that sounds like when you would try and start the truck when it is already running. This lasts for a second or two, and then goes away. After the truck warms up and i drive somewhere and start it again, it doesn't do it at all. Only when the truck is cold. When the weather is warmer, generally above 50 degrees, it doesn't happen at all. Has anyone experienced this? I can clarify some info if needed.

As "Number 4" stated, have your battery load tested at an Auto Parts Store like Advance Auto Parts. They do it for free there. I just had my battery tested there last week and they will load test it by having the engine running and have you turn on several electrical devices in the vehicle, heater, fan and headlights then have you rev the engine high for several seconds. This will tell them how many volts your battery is putting out, plus how many CCA's Cold Cranking Amps your battery has left in it and tell if your Alternator is working properly. They will also give you a print out receipt of the test results. I needed a new battery. If you go to an Advance Auto Parts store for this test and need to buy a new battery, go to www.couponcabin.com and get the $40 off online coupon code for Advance. Order the battery online at Advance's web site, apply the coupon code and select to pick it up at a store near you. It will save you $40. I changed my battery right in their parking lot and saved on the old battery return core charge. BTW, my battery started acting up on a cold start as well, but not the noise you hear. Just a weak battery.

i get a grinding/squealing noise that sounds like when you would try and start the truck when it is already running.

If it is actually starting but making the noise during the start process when cold then the starter is sticking.

Either the key isn't flipping back (or your holding it too long) which is doubtful or the starter is sticking and not pulling the bendix back.

You "might" be able to pull the starter, clean it and lube it.. If not, changing the starter will take care of it..

~Mark

Thanks for all the helpful replies. I noticed that if I turn on my key into accessory mode and let it sit for a few seconds then turn on the vehicle, this doesn't happen. Any insight on that?

Back