• Register Today It's free!

Starter Grinding AFTER Startup

Stealthcb

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado Springs, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91
Hey, folks. New guy here, trying like he!! to get my Explorer back up and running. Here's what happened -- I'd appreciate ANY help you folks can give.

First off, I drive a 1991 Explorer. 4.0, 4WD.

Two weeks ago, I went to turn it on and all I got was a loud click. I tried again and got NOTHING. No power to anything. Jiggled the battery cables and got it started, but that was the last time.

First thing I replaced was the starter relay (solenoid on the fender bulge of the engine compartment). No joy. Nothing. No power, no click. Nothing.

Then I replaced all the battery cables. Turned the key and she started! Woo hoo!

Then, AFTER it was running, the starter began grinding on the flywheel. Shut it down, tried a shim.

Same problem. Starter grinding.

Replaced the starter (ouch...$160). Same problem. Shimmed the new starter. Same problem.

Now, after repeatedly pounding my head on the concrete floor of my garage, I am ready to junk the thing.

Then I read (here) that it might be a problem in the ignition/steering column area. Can ANYONE help me out with this? What can I do to get this thing running again?

And wouldn't you know it...we're having a snowstorm tonight and I am without my 4WD truck. Grrrrr....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like the new solenoid is sticking. Try disconnecting it and starting the truck just by touching to 2 large wires going to it. If after you separate them the starter shuts off, it's the solenoid.

Just bumping this for ya

You mean the relay solenoid in the engine compartment or the solenoid on the starter itself?

Thanks for the advice. If I can get this thing running tomorrow (and take it to work Monday), it will save HUGE headaches.

And what would be the sequence of events on doing this? Have someone hold the wires to the solenoid while I crank it, then have them remove them?

Sorry -- electrical stuff isn't my java, man.

hey buddy wuts up?
i had the same problem the best thing u can do is go to a junk yard and replace it i got a used started for 50 bucks and i replaced it my self its not that hard. wut happend to mine was ide start it up and it would grind for like 6 minutes and it was annoying so i took it out and the motor inside of the casing literly snapped out of the housing. try to put a new started in there im sure thats the problem ttyl peace

Andrew: Already put a new starter in. It did the same thing with the old and new starters. Thanks though.

OK, so I did that. I disconnected the "S" cable from the solenoid relay and jumped it with a screwdriver. It started trying to turn the truck over, and when I released it, the started seemed to spin down.

So I turned the ignition to the "ON" position (but did not start it) and did the same thing. Jumped the solenoid. It started the truck, but the starter made the same grinding sound.

Any MORE ideas?

You don't have a remote start on your Ex do you?

No. No remote starter.

i started a new topic before i found this.. i have almost the exact same problem. my flywheel wasn't grinding until i replaced the solenoid relay but still does it with the old one on. the starter isn't a year old, isn't shimmed.

I spoke with a Ford mechanic at the local dealer today. She said it is PROBABLY a bad starter, since that is what will cause the grinding in most cases. She also said it COULD be the ignition switch not clicking out of the start mode and therefore not telling the solenoid to disengage.

I am going to try spraying some WD-40 in the ignition on recommendation of a friend whose T-Bird did the same thing and see if that works...

Back