Starter spins but wont start

Gladi8r

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Small Town
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT
Hey guys, got a Q for ya'll. My X starter spins normal but sounds like it is not engaging the flywheel. Is this a normal occurance for the X's?? Would this just be the solenoid that kicks it out or would I need a complete starter. It spins just like it wants to start but it does not seem to engage. What $$$$ am I looking at to fix this? I will prob have to have it done by my local garage because it is 10 degrees outside and I have no garage.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The bendix on the starter isn't engaging. Time for a new starter.

Putting a starter in is a really easy job. 3 bolts and it's out. Disconnect the wires, hook 'em to the new starter and put the 3 bolts back in. A new starter will run you $100-160 depending upon where you get it.

Your more than welcome to use my garage if you would like. Id hate to see you have to pay for such a simple job.

I appreciate the replies guys. I ahve contacted a local mechanic I deal with and he is going to take it to his shop and swap the starters. Mike, I appreciate the offer but I am working long days this week and won't have much time to mess with it. Thanks anyway. :D

p.s. wifey is in TX this week, attending her grannies funeral so I will be running her subaru til he gets my truck done.

again, I appreciate the offer

Back