• Register Today It's free!

Starting issues

Mrspledger11

Reaction score
City, State
Utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Explorer
I have a 1994 Explorer XLT. Most of the time, she starts and runs great. But, randomly, she tries but won't start for about 20 minutes. When we bought her a year ago, the previous owners told us to make sure her steering wheel is straight to get her to start. I have power when she isn't starting. I have changed the fuel pump relay and had someone hit the fuel pump a couple times with a rubber mallet. I'm at a loss. Could it be something in the steering column?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First off (and no disrespect intended) nobody can hit the fuel pump directly unless they pull it out of the tank. I suspect they hit the starter with a rubber mallet, which is one way you might get one or two more starts from a failing starter. I doubt if anyone can successfully troubleshoot your 'occasional failure to start' without knowing a lot more about the circumstances. Your vehicle has a computer that controls just about everything having to do with the engine and will refuse to allow it to start under some conditions to prevent improper operation or even damage. For example, when you say 'about 20 minutes' is this the first start of the day or when the engine is hot from driving? The computer may have sensed something wrong under this particular condition.
Everyone on this forum is willing to help, but even the guru's (which I am not) will need more details to narrow down the problem. If you move around the site, you'll run into suggestions that you check the computer for any error codes. Doing so may help diagnose the problem. Some auto parts stores will do this for you, and a tester to allow you to do it is around $35 the last time I looked.

None of the ignition switch or key cylinder assembly moves due to the steering wheel. All that stuff is fixed in place. I don't see how making sure the steering wheel is straight would affect the starting.

Start with the simple stuff;
Does the pump prime when you turn the key to the on position?
Do you have fuel pressure at the rail?
Do you have spark?

First off (and no disrespect intended) nobody can hit the fuel pump directly unless they pull it out of the tank. I suspect they hit the starter with a rubber mallet, which is one way you might get one or two more starts from a failing starter. I doubt if anyone can successfully troubleshoot your 'occasional failure to start' without knowing a lot more about the circumstances. Your vehicle has a computer that controls just about everything having to do with the engine and will refuse to allow it to start under some conditions to prevent improper operation or even damage. For example, when you say 'about 20 minutes' is this the first start of the day or when the engine is hot from driving? The computer may have sensed something wrong under this particular condition.
Everyone on this forum is willing to help, but even the guru's (which I am not) will need more details to narrow down the problem. If you move around the site, you'll run into suggestions that you check the computer for any error codes. Doing so may help diagnose the problem. Some auto parts stores will do this for you, and a tester to allow you to do it is around $35 the last time I looked.

Thank you for your reply. Thank you for clearing that up, I am learning as I go. I really appreciate any corrections in what I am saying so that I don't sound ridiculous elsewhere! It's always when the engine is hot from driving and never the first start of the day!

Natenkiki2004, I agree with your suggestion but am looking in another direction. Hopefully you won't mind. (Got called to dinner or would have put it in my earlier post.)
Mrspledger11, does the starter operate when you turn the key? (I'm assuming not.) If not, do you hear a 'click' from the engine compartment (the starter relay) when you turn the key to start? Another question, which '94 do you have and does it have a factory alarm? I'm looking in my '94 Electrical troubleshooting manual and it would help to know.

Larry, that's the tricky thing with these posts. We have to run down through a troubleshooting tree.

It doesn't start... what does that mean? Does it crank? Does it click? Does it fire and die?

We gotta know more info before pointing you in a direction.

larry, that's the tricky thing with these posts. We have to run down through a troubleshooting tree.

It doesn't start... What does that mean? Does it crank? Does it click? Does it fire and die?

We gotta know more info before pointing you in a direction.

+1

It's always when the engine is hot from driving and never the first start of the day!

Bingo! This is the relevant info.

Stubborn starts after the engine is warm is caused by a faulty ECT. (Engine coolant sensor)

There are two temp sensors: One is for the dash gauge and the other is for the PCM. (computer) this is the ECT.

They are both located at the thermostat housing. One is "in" the housing and the ECT is just behind that in the manifold runner.

You'll be need'n one of these:
getimage1_zps781cd8f5.jpg

BWD Part # WT5058P $41.99

I had to repalce a starter once that when hot would not start the vehicle. When cooled down for about 20 minutes she started fine. I was told it was the solenoid on the starter itself that was the problem. Starter relay on the fender did click. New rebuilt starter took care of the problem. It was original and 20 years-old at the time.

With all respect to FR-425 and others' suggestions, I still don't know if when the engine is hot the starter works but the engine won't start, or if the starter doesn't work.
Ken's Exploder, you did extremely well getting 20 years out of a starter. Our '92 is on it's 3rd one (we're the original owners) and I'm considering changing it and the starter relay this summer just in case.

Back