• Register Today It's free!

Starting Problem

walterd140

Reaction score
City, State
Ludlow, Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Sport
Hi All. Developed an issue starting. 94 stock Explorer with 160,000 miles. The engine would crank & crank & crank. Finally starting after a lot of cranks or me physically stepping on the gas.

I changed out the air & fuel filter, plugs & wires. Still does it.

Here's a new kick.. I crank a few seconds, stop, then turn the key & it fires right up.

I do have a slight coolant leak & a fuel leak as well (hope to fix fuel leak real soon).

Any help?

Thanks in advance
Walter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like your issue is either fuel pump or fuel pressure regulator. Do a fuel pressure test first.

Thanks Verno, but the fuel pump is either working or not, right?

Thanks Verno, but the fuel pump is either working or not, right?

Not necessarily. When they begin to fail/get weak they will basically work intermittantly.

Or the pump itself works fine, but the check valve in the pump (that's supposed to keep the rail pressurized when the key is off) goes bad. The fuel rail depressurizes, which means it takes longer for the otherwise good pump to pressurize the system.

Just out of curiosity, what perssure should I get on the rail? Also, do I check it with the engine running, not running, or key turned to start (to get the fuel pump humming)?

yes (by that I mean you should measure pressure under all those conditions). You might go to the Under the Hood forum and review the fuel pressure test mini-diary thread. spec fuel pressure is 40 psi KOEO.

Back