• Register Today It's free!

Steering Column Part help!

ctlaw74

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Eddie Bauer
HELP

2cp6sur.jpg

Like the image says I need to replace this thing that appears to be a bushing. I installed my 3" body lift and used a torch to heat up the shaft cause it was seized and the thing melted and cracked. Is it held in with the small screws on the side? Do I disconnect the shaft and slide the new bushing up? Is it important to even replace this thing? The lift install has been a nightmare. First it was frozen and in trying to get it apart the shaft pulled down very far. We ot it back up without any problems and next putting it back together it seemed to get jammed to far up so I had to pull it back down a bit. Am I screwed? Please help.
Thanks,
Matt

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You shouldn't have needed to mess with that part. You should have gotten a Steering Shaft Extender with the kit.

Ryan

I have the extension...

I have the extension, that's why I needed to get the two pieces apart. The ANSWER I NEED is to the Question presented, What is this part called and is it a serviceable/replaceable part?
Thanks in advance and still hanging in here for an answer...
Matt

The official name is the 'Lower Bearing Retainer'. It is held in place with those 3 screws that are shown going through the tube. Loosen the screws, and it should slide out. Install the new one. And tighten the screws to 12-20 INCH/lb's. (NOT ft/lbs.)

All this info was gotten straight from my 1992 Ford Service manual CD. Section 11-04B. Ford Illustration # G6917-1A.

Ryan

Edit: 3 screws, not 1.

Hi, thanks for the help. I had gotten impatient and went to FORD and found the part...
EOTZ-3D681-A It was really cheap like $5-6.00. It actually holds on with three little self tapping bolts. I reused them.

Follow up question, does the manual say wether or not the bearing that is inside on the shaft, (btw way slides up and down the shaft pretty freelyby hand) needs to be up far inside the column or does it rest inside this plastic end cap? Should there be play in the shaft itself when it's fully assembled? I mean now that it's back together if you grab the shaft you can move it around a little bit side to side, up and down, etc...
Thanks again. I'm one step closer to being back on the road!

It shows the bearing retainer being installed in the EXACT same spot shown in the pic, at the bottom of that tube.

It says nothing anywhere about the amount of play allowed. So there is no spec for the amount of deflection that is allowed, and pass any type of inspection.

Ryan

Back