• Register Today It's free!

Steering Column Replacement

BT

Reaction score
City, State
Dumfries, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Eddie Bauer
My official Ford factory service manual says that in order to replace the steering column in my '02, the steering wheel has to be removed.

My dealer says he recently replaced my column WITHOUT removing the wheel.

It concerns me because whereas my steering wheel was perfectly aligned before, it now is not, and the dealer says that since nothing was removed or disturbed that would have affected steering wheel positioning, it is proof that I need a front end alignment.

Adding insult to injury, even though the dealer also performed a state-mandated annual safety inspection during the same repair visit and "passed" my vehicle, he now states that before an alignment can be performed both inner and outer tie rod ends must be replaced. The state requires inspectors to reject a vehicle that has any perceptible steering linkage looseness.

It all leads me to believe I'm being lied to, but just in case there is a steering column R&I procedure "workaround" that eliminates the need to remove the steering wheel, I sure would like to hear about it.
Thanks a million.

I did see that in the service manual, however, I did just remove my 98 colum as a complete unit--wheel and all.
Now, if he used the same steering wheel--then how could it have not been removed?

There is a "pinch bolt" where the column attatches to the steering shaft--maybe they have it mis aligned??

DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

You are the man. I totally overlooked the super obvious. Yeah, I got my old wheel back, worn leather and all. Gee I wonder how that happened since they didn't remove it!!!

thank you for the advice and the good laugh at myself. BT

Back