• Register Today It's free!

Steering gear box need help fast?

BadBoy

Reaction score
City, State
hawaii
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer
My power steering gearbox is leaking fluid bad where the shaft comes from the Steering Column and gos into the gearbox is there a seal i can replace or a rebuild kit i can buy or do i need to buy a whole new gearbox.

Thanks
BadBoy

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Surely you can replace the seal, have you checked the high pressure line? They had an o-ring seal that leaks, and it may be running down, looking like the box is leaking. Just a thought

Originally posted by EXPLODER-1
Surely you can replace the seal, have you checked the high pressure line? They had an o-ring seal that leaks, and it may be running down, looking like the box is leaking. Just a thought

Thanks i will try to see if it is leaking from the high pressure line.It looks like it is coming from where the Steering Column shaft go's into the gearbox the fluid just leaks out bad.Do you know who sells a seal for the gearbox or has anyone replaced theres before.

Thanks

I would try a local auto parts store first, if not I would go to ford, seal can't be too high.

I see you have a '92. If you find that it is a seal in the box and you can afford $150 I would replace the unit with a rebuilt one.

I replaced mine in my '93 and it brought back all the tightness that used to be in the steering system. Gear box slop is one of those things that you don't notice since the wear is so gradual, but once you replace it man, what a differance...

BTW, I did the steering lash adjustmentment to my box before I replaced it, and yes it felt better, but no where near as good as the rebuilt box.

Rick,
I too suffer from loose steering, maybe I need a new box. Where did you get yours?

I got mine form a shop called Benchworks in Phoenix. They do ship, but I don't have his info handy.

Thank's I can get his number through information.

I replaced my steering box and it still seems loose. I got it rebuilt from Kragen though. Was that my mistake? I have slowly adjusted that screwdriver knob in a little bit each time to try and tighten it up a bit but and its a little better so far.

Basically I turn it about once a week. So far I have turned it twice. (Meaning two attempts) I also noticed that on the second time I could turn it in freely, until a certain point then it got harder. So I turned it until that hard point then backed it off a little. I will probably turn it again a little next weekend.

Brian

Well i got the gearbox off but do not see how to replace the input shaft seal on it.That is the seal that is leaking anyone ever replace theres or rebuilt a gear box before i could use some help.or dose anyone have the sevice book for a 1992 2door 2wheel drive explorer. they could look to see how to replace it dont realy want to spend $280.00 on a rebuilt gearbox.:( :(

Thanks
Badboy

Well i broke down and bought a new steering gearbox from checker auto parts.
I installed it and every thing seems to work fine no leaks so far.
But there is still a clunk noise that seems to come and go's in the steering column The noise noise was there before i replaced the gearbox.
Anyone know what could be makeing the noise and how can i fix it.

Thanks
Badboy

You may have a bad bushing or bearing in the column, I am not sure what is in an explorer column. It may also be in your steering linkage, and the sound traveling up. I would suspect something from the gearbox up to wheel seeing how that seal was leaking.
As for adjusting gear box, jack front tires off the ground, and center wheel, you can adjust the worm gear, but not too far, if you over tighten you can break parts inside box.

Back