• Register Today It's free!

steering problem

devil driver

Reaction score
City, State
fieldon il
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 xlt
i got in the ex yesterday morning and as i was backing up, it got hard to turn. it was like my power steering quit working. but then it was ok. i have noticed that when i try to turn the steering wheel it feels hard to move but after it starts turning its easy. dont tell me my rack and pinion is going out, thats all i need. anyone else have this happen?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How does your fluid and fluid level look?

the fluid looks a little over full. when i remove cap it is maybe an inch or so from top. it looks brown. maybe i should change the fluid and go from there. whats the best way to get all of it out?

I'm interested as well.

looks like i got most of the old fluid out but still having problem. this morning i had to force it to move while sitting still and it felt like it was in a bind and it broke loose. it does get better after it warms up, but there is always that kink in it when i start to turn. i can go all the way from left to right without any problem, its when i stop turning the steering wheel and then start turning again is when it happens. my power steering pump isnt noisy so i think its ok. if anyone has an idea let me know.

if no one has any ideas about this problem i guess its back to the dealer again. is there another forum where i might get some help. cant believe i bought this piece of crap. i have had it two months and havent got to drive it much. lets see new upper and lower ball joints, new hub on right side, new radiator, thermostat, and hoses. will it ever end, please tell me it will. if anyone wants it i will sell it for what i have in it, labor is free.

if no one has any ideas about this problem i guess its back to the dealer again. is there another forum where i might get some help. cant believe i bought this piece of crap. i have had it two months and havent got to drive it much. lets see new upper and lower ball joints, new hub on right side, new radiator, thermostat, and hoses. will it ever end, please tell me it will. if anyone wants it i will sell it for what i have in it, labor is free.

What year and how many miles do you have on it. I wouldn't be going to the dealer for repairs that's just crazy. Find a good independent mechanic if you can't do the work yourself. All the parts you listed are parts that will and do wear out, regardless of what kind of car you have.

Did you check the basics ie. the belt and the tensioner?
If the belt is glazed, or past it's service life it could very well be slipping, especially when it's cold.

it is a 96 awd 5.0 engine with 133000 miles. i only go to the dealer to find out whats wrong with it, which they usually do for free. i can do the work myself if i know whats wrong with it. the belt tension is fine no slipping. i am *****ing about the explorer because my 2000 zx2 has over 200000 miles and have only had to replace one front hub, one outer tie rod end, front brake pads twice and the timing belt once. my 99 ranger has 124000 miles and have had to replace front brake pads once and a speed sensor thats it nothing else. i just think explorers could have been engineered a little better. i know a few people with cherokees with a lot more miles with much fewer problems. dont get me wrong, i love fords, just not this one. so anymore ideas about the steering issue?

I have a '95 that was doing the same thing..look at the tensioner again..if it is bouncing up and down while engine is running it has lost its spring level..also try Seafoam in your pwr steering fluid..a little bit goes a long way and it may help with any crud built up in pump and rack...

You may have gotten a bad explorer..but just fyi..ranger and explorers are just about the same truck...all of them wear hubs and ball joints every 100k or so...

tensioner is fine, no bouncing. i was thinking that it might be crud, not letting the fluid pump at full volume. did yours have the kink in it like it is stuck and once you start turning the wheel it is fine. my ranger is 2 wheel drive and i wish my explorer was too. dont need awd but it came that way so i am stuck with it. the radiator is what really pissed me off, the plastic part on one side cracked.

i ran a can of seafoam trans flush through my steering system and what a difference it made. it is still not perfect but much better. i took the return hose loose from cooler and let most of the old fluid drain out. i refilled with fresh fluid and the kink is gone. tomorrow morning when it is cold will be the true test so we will see.

I had to change the rack & pinion on my 96X. Had a shop do it. Cant remember the cost.
Your problem sounds the same as I had.
I extended the change by using some power steering conditioner. It was a Lucas (sp?) product and it made it better for 6 mos. or so....
Use a turkey baster to suck out the old fluid and replace it with the conditioner. Drive around a while and do it again untill you get the whole bottle in.

Wouldn't you think by now someone would have designed a vehicle that would be maintanance free for the first 300,000 miles. Nothing to replace except the tires.

they wont do that. someone would be loosing to much money....!

This an old thread. But here is an update. Since running the Seafoam Trans Tune through the system I have hardly noticed any binding. The explorer has been good to me since getting everything repaired. I have had to replace the fuel pump, battery, starter and brakes but thats expected. It is no longer a piece of crap. My wife drives it most of the time and she loves it.

Back