Steering probs, pivot arm shaft falling out | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Steering probs, pivot arm shaft falling out

lonestar

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
lou,ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT, 02 XLS
Steering probs, pitman arm shaft falling out

This morning I had a very minor accident. Looked up, guy was dead stopped to allow someone to turn in front of him, cut wheel, slammed on brakes and clipped his taillight. No structural damage to either car, just a scratch on my X. Now the weird part.

So I think everything is good. Hop back in the truck and the steering is all outta whack. So I park and look for a bent tie rod or something. First thing I notice is power steering fluid running out the gear box. Then it looks like the shaft the pivot arm bolts to is falling out, there is about 1/2" of spline showing. Anyone heard of this. How does that happen? So now assume that when I cut the wheel and hit the brakes I pulled something loose, allowing the pivot arm to fall down throwing out my alignment, it is visibly noticable.

I guess I'll be working on that this weekend.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does anyoine know if all the gearboxes for the 1st gen 91-94 all the same. I may be going to the junkyard tomorrow.

Or how hard is it to rebuild? I'm not sure though with the shaft falling out.

$150 at autozone.

Thanks

anyone?

You would be amazed at how many Fords that gearbox comes on. rangers, vans, trucks etc. I got a list from my local yard that lists al the vehicles with the same steering gearbox,

Well I don't believe it, but I twisted and bent the sector shaft, so a rebuid was outta the question and the junkyards wanted $75-100, so I just went with a rebuilt one. I have been wrestling with that thing all day, still not done, I'm tired.

Back