• Register Today It's free!

Steering "sticks" - any ideas?

jchfairfield

Reaction score
City, State
Fairfield, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT
I have '96 2WD XLT, and the steering sticks from center in either direction. Especially in the early AM, when turning left or right, you turn the wheel a bit and it doesn't respond, then it sort of lunges the way of the turn. It ONLY happens when turning left or right of center. Not a HUGE problem (yet), but takes some getting used to... If you think about it from one way or the other (from the tire to the steering wheel, or vice versa), it "feels" like the sticking is close to the steering wheel. The warmer the car gets, the better it is. Mechanics have looked at the tire up side, and have drawn a blank. One mechanic recommended a power steering overhaul. It almost feels like the shaft of the steering cloumn needs lubed, to describe the feel. Does anyone out there have any ideas? Thanks! Have a great Memorial Day!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That makes sense--I'll check that out this weekend. What did you do? Thanks!

I posted a wanted ad, got one from another member from a 96, which doesn't have the plastic sleeve, it is all metal. However, it made my steering wheel alignment off a bit, which had to be dealt with at tie rod ends, by alignment shop. A salvage yard is a good bet, find one without motor and it's 5 minute to pull, about 1/2 hour to replace

Back