• Register Today It's free!

steering wheel issues

dmwattes24

Reaction score
City, State
Columbia, Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 xlt
So after body lift I am experiencing some weird grinding noise when I turn the wheel. It dont sound good and I. Was wondering if you guys knew what was up. Ill post aa video of the sound later. Its coming from the steering shaft

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When you had your steering wheel disconnected you probably gave it an extra turn or two and the noise you're hearing is your clock spring breaking. That's what happened to mine.

How do I go about fixing that?

Just a thought, my horn and crouse still work

Ohi well I guess I better get around to fixing it before it gets worse. Thanks I didnt even know what a clock spring was let alone It could be the issue.

extra info. we didnt disconnect the steering shaft before lifting, the shaft was extended about 2 inches, Didnt think this was a problem because the steering has to extend when the axles drop right? well we put the extention that came with the kit in last and the steering shaft went back to its origional way. could there be a way I messed up shaft on the inside of the firewall that I'm not seeing? it also makes a click or small bang sound when I drive down dirt roads or over bumpy roads. the same sound that it made at first when I turned the wheel.
It started out as a click click click click kind of thing (maybe a few times per full rotation) as I turned now its still doing the click click click thing, but there is also a grinding sound and feel about it. if that makes any sence.
Just worried I screwed up the bearings or the shaft itself.

Yeah you probably damaged the shaft and steering column. It's a PITA to disassemble so have fun with that.

Might I suggest that you jack up the front end to get the wheels off the ground while you do it. That way you can turn the wheels as you disassemble it. It will help you to pinpoint the problem.

Yeah you probably damaged the shaft and steering column. It's a PITA to disassemble so have fun with that.

Might I suggest that you jack up the front end to get the wheels off the ground while you do it. That way you can turn the wheels as you disassemble it. It will help you to pinpoint the problem.

I guess thats what I get for trusting someone else with that part of the build. guess I'll take it to a shop and have them take a look and give me a quote.

on the bright side I got the brown wire mod done.

Back