Steering Wheel "Shudder", what's the cause? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Steering Wheel "Shudder", what's the cause?

Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Explorer EB 5.0 AWD
The problem: Sometimes when I turn the wheel at low speeds or while parked, the steering wheel will have a bad "shudder" to it when I turn it left or right. All most like it is struggling to turn the wheels. And yes I check the fluid level and it is fine.

I did a search and came up with several different responses ranging from, replacing a pressure relief valve, to it having air in the system, to having linkage binding. So what’s the deal? This seems like a very specific thing, and I know there is a very specific cause. So what is it?
Is this something as simple as replacing the belt? Is it possible that at low speeds or while stopped the increased strain on the pump is causing the belt to slip ever so slightly????

Thanks,
David

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you changed anything or had anywork done on the car recently?

I have not performed any work on the vehicle lately, it has just started with out any warning or apparent cause.

David

Ok so I replaced the serp belt; hopefully that will fix the problem, because the rack looks like a PITA to take out since I have AWD.

i recently have had the same problem, it could be that your power steering fluid is low, or you have little air bubbles in the line, when i measured the level of my fluid, it was full too. but i turned the wheal while the car was off, (don't ask why) but it put air in the fluid and squirted the fluid all over the place. it took a bit for the air to get out of there. don't know if that helps. good luck!

So your saying that, turning the wheel while the vehicle is off, somehow allows air bubbles to get into the system?

On a side note, since i replaced the serp belt, I have not had any problems with the PS pump at all, that may have been the problem.

david

well here is one peice of information most dont about fords they do some times get air in the lines mainly when they are lifted in the air when work is being done to them. But an easy way to fix it is tho run the truck and crank the wheel back and forth while you are in park for a couple mins. it will work out the air in the lines.

i'm currently experiencing the same shudder whenever i turn the wheel at a crawl. I never had this thing before till i installed my new wheels+tires. Of course everything was tightened properly and i always check everything out..

turn it in hard , , than out hard, he he he ,

this sounds like what happened to mine when i did my brakes,, i moved the wheels side to side when they were in the air, ,

i turned the steering wheel all the way till i could hear the pressure relief valve letting the pressure off the system at both steering stops a few times, and the shudder went away ,
with the motor running, just crank it all the way to the left , and hold it, and than all the way to the right and hold it, , repeat , a few times, than see if the problem is still there, ,

Thanks gents, looks like we figured this one out.

david

Back