• Register Today It's free!

Steers A Little Screwy

boatmoter

Reaction score
City, State
TampaFL.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT
have a 91 xlt, 4.0 auto,2WD. has steered weird since I have had it,4 yrs,goes right to left on the road hard to keep it in the center of the lane,have put on new firestone destinations, 4 new ball joints,4 new shocks,radius arm bushings,stabilizer bar bushings, new stabilizer links,4 tie rods, idler arm,pittman arm, steering box, new front inner&outter wheel bearings,and had it to 3 alignment shops for complete check out and had the alignment done three time by different shops.have tried a friends tires and rims on it and still the same thing. it still hard to keep centered in the lane, I have drove customers 91 to 94 explorers and they all steered good, whats the deal??? any suggestions? does any one else have this problem??the others I have drove drive almost like a car!!!:confused:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you checked the steering shaft for play?

I don't think you correctly understood what unclemeat said...

The steering shaft isn't under the truck, its between the steering column and the box. You never said if you confirmed that the rag joint is still solid and has not fallen apart. If everything else you have listed is new, then this is one of the few things left that would cause what you are describing...

-Ted

Sounds like it might be the rag joint. Only thing left.

P.S. I put the Firestone destinations on my 'X' 62000 miles ago..
Like them a lot. Time for new ones, but I like them.

2 wheel drive u say ?? i thk u have bushings in your a- arms as well 3 different shops cant find the problem ??
have u read all the stickee treads under first gen explorer > ??did u add an extra washer when u did the radius bushings ?? what kind did u buy cheap rubber style or what cheap bushings will almost fall apart before u can take ur trk off the lift have another look an let us know what u find

2 wheel drive u say ?? i thk u have bushings in your a- arms as well 3 different shops cant find the problem ??
have u read all the stickee treads under first gen explorer > ??did u add an extra washer when u did the radius bushings ?? what kind did u buy cheap rubber style or what cheap bushings will almost fall apart before u can take ur trk off the lift have another look an let us know what u find

Extra washer?? is that to squeese the Rubber tighter against the Brackets?

pic

yes extra washer will tighten things up here is a pic with one washer depends on what bushings u buy an what kinda play u have there. im just assuming u have your work done for u ?? if not was the hole in the frame bracket or crossmember nice an round ?? if not u many need a replacement if the previous owners of ur trk didnt replace the radius bushings it doesnt take long for the bracket to get fu bared up use a nice lube on bushings to keep the sqweeking noise down to a low level will help u keep your sanity :) me i went insane along time ago so i dont worry :salute:

Attachments

• new 007.jpg
    new 007.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 238

I did the work myself about two years ago. I use NAPA polys figuring it would be forever.
The Crossmember looked good. I knew to look for that. Now after just two years I'm getting a slight clunk when braking just as the car come to a stop you can feel that clunk under your feet. All teh other front suspension is good or I replaced it. so I'm back to the RABs
I was thinking about adding an additional washer just to give a liottle more Squish on the larger surface of the Crossmember.
I have to take off teh large Nuts and see if teh Poly bushing cracked away wher eit passes through the Crossmemember or what's going on.

I did the work myself about two years ago. I use NAPA polys figuring it would be forever.
The Crossmember looked good. I knew to look for that. Now after just two years I'm getting a slight clunk when braking just as the car come to a stop you can feel that clunk under your feet. All teh other front suspension is good or I replaced it. so I'm back to the RABs
I was thinking about adding an additional washer just to give a liottle more Squish on the larger surface of the Crossmember.
I have to take off teh large Nuts and see if teh Poly bushing cracked away wher eit passes through the Crossmemember or what's going on.

Adding another cupped water in front (turned backwards) will not only squish the bushing more, it will move the axle forward.. Its been a long time since I measured it, but I belive it was almost 1/4" of movement. I added that washer a few years ago to help clear the rear of the fender.

~Mark

Back