• Register Today It's free!

still runs like crap...

JTH1972

Reaction score
City, State
Kelowna, BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XL V6 4X4
My frustrations with this Ex are continuing as time goes on.

All gauges are fluctuating at one point or another. The only one that doesn't seem to is the fuel gauge, but that just drops faster than it should!

Ever since the first time i put it into 4X4 this winter, the motor runs like there's an extra load on it. The 4X4 doesn't feel like it's continually engaged but it just feels "bogged down".

I still have issues with fuel consumption being ridiculously high, sluggish acceleration, and poor performance. I haven't changed the FPR yet, but I'd rather test it first to see if that's the issue rather than throwning money at something that may be fine. Problem is that up here, the test kits for fuel pressure cost half as much as the part does!

I've done a full tune up on it, and replaced wires one at a time to ensure order wasn't mixed up. getting no codes with KOEO

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

have you checked your vacuum lines recently, they get old, brittle, it gets cold outside and they bust. Fastest way to find a problem, is grab the propane torch, open the gas but dont light it. move it over all Vacuum lines slowly with the engine running. When the engine picks up some RPMS, you have found a leak. Great way to locate problems with intake gaskets also.

look here

Any auto parts stores up there do the tool loan program?

If your problem is the FPR make sure you take note of whether yours has the threaded flange or the quick disconnect.

Fastest way to find a problem, is grab the propane torch, open the gas but dont light it. move it over all Vacuum lines slowly with the engine running. When the engine picks up some RPMS, you have found a leak.
Wow! thanks for the tip! I've never heard of that one before but it makes total sense. I'll have to try it when it's not too windy out.

Great way to locate problems with intake gaskets also.
Do you have anymore info on this? I've heard of it mentioned before. Is it the lower or upper intake that needs to sometimes be retorqued?

Good news: I got a hold of a tester and it's not my FPR. 38 lbs when the key is turned on and 32 pounds with the engine running. Bad news: that was always my main suspect, so now I'm back to square one.

What about O2 sensors? One of the parts shops said that the O2 sensors can go bad without throwning a code.

When things went bad, it literally happened overnight. I went from 17 mpg to 13 mpg (even less now). Any other sensors that might be the culprit?

As far as the intake gaskets, if the lower is shot, you may be leaking coolant, if the upper is shot your pulling way to much air. But judging by the fact that it went to crap so fast when it got cold out, i would seriously start looking at the vacuum lines, make sure you don't have one disconnected or broken, Check the vac tree to make sure you haven't popped a hose or cap off of it.

Is it loping during idle, idling rough, missing during acceleration or idle, is it sounding taxed during idle or just under load, If its just under load, you may want to see if you can hook up your pressure gauge and take it for a drive, see if the pressure drops out under load, if that's the case, then you have ether a clogged fuel filter or a pump that's giving it up. If it comes down to the fuel pump, do yourself a favor, spend the extra money and get a mopar pump from the dealership, they last a lot longer, and its a pain in the ass to replace, so make it a once and done.

Ever since the first time i put it into 4X4 this winter, the motor runs like there's an extra load on it. The 4X4 doesn't feel like it's continually engaged but it just feels "bogged down".
At the risk of sidetracking your diagnosis, I'm going to make a connection between the 4x4 and the symptom. The few times when my 4wd has built up tension to where it won't disengage, it feels "heavy" or "bogged down" because it is stuck in 4wd. It should only take a few minutes to check, so I'm going to suggest you make sure the hubs/transfer case have disengaged.

At the risk of sidetracking your diagnosis, I'm going to make a connection between the 4x4 and the symptom. The few times when my 4wd has built up tension to where it won't disengage, it feels "heavy" or "bogged down" because it is stuck in 4wd. It should only take a few minutes to check, so I'm going to suggest you make sure the hubs/transfer case have disengaged.

X2! :thumbsup:

try cleaning the maf sensor. you might try a new air filter also

MAF's been cleaned twice since I bought the truck in June/July. Air filter was replaced around that time too.

But judging by the fact that it went to crap so fast when it got cold out,
Actually it went to crap around July/August. I had the truck about a month before things went to hell. Yea I know it seems like a long time, but betweek working 12 hour days and trying to squeeze family in between. A truck sucking fuel was low priority as long as it got me from A to B.

Is it loping during idle, idling rough, missing during acceleration or idle, is it sounding taxed during idle or just under load, If its just under load, you may want to see if you can hook up your pressure gauge and take it for a drive, see if the pressure drops out under load, if that's the case, then you have ether a clogged fuel filter or a pump that's giving it up.
Fuel filter was changed not too long ago. Idle's fine and feels smooth enough, just poor power and acceleration. Oh, it does knock like crazy sometimes when going up hill, or when trying to obtain faster highway speed on a slight incline. Plugs and wires are new a couple of months ago. I had to use NGk plugs since the parts supplier didn't carry autolite or motorcraft.

It should only take a few minutes to check, so I'm going to suggest you make sure the hubs/transfer case have disengaged.
Thanks for the suggestion, but how would I tell? It doens't "feel" like the 4X4 is engaged.

it could be that your fuel filter is giving up or your catalytic converter could be getting plugged up, both of mine failed it caused simular problems, fuel pump if you have hard starting and but can rev up under load and get decent speed probley a fuel pump. if it starts hard won't rev past about 1800 to 2200 rpms and and sounds like it's flooding out under load then i'd say that it's your cat i had poor idle with both of those.

Thanks for the suggestion, but how would I tell? It doens't "feel" like the 4X4 is engaged.
Easy test, but has to be done with great care, or personal/property damage may occur. Do at your own risk!

Get the rig on 4 jackstands. Put it in gear, let it idle, slowly give it a little gas, let the rpms climb a couple hundred or so. Look at the front wheels to see if they are moving or not.

Less hazardous way: Jack up the front end and try to spin the front driveshaft by hand. If it is locked in and won't go anywhere, its in 4x4, if it turns and the hubs lock up & front tires spin, its in 4x2.

It will take some effort to turn the driveshaft, but you should be able to do it ok with two hands.

i prefer the tree and ice method.

have a buddy (with beer in hand) watch the wheels while you put the bumper against a tree on ice. then give it hell, If your stuck in 4x4, the front wheels are bound to spin.

make damn sure you yell "Hey Y'all watch this" before doing this.

make damn sure you yell "Hey Y'all watch this" before doing this.

Aw crap. That mean's I'll have to move back to Alberta to do this test!

Back