Stock A/C Condenser Fan???

EpiDeMiCc

Reaction score
City, State
Las Vegas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2009 explorer eddie bauer
Hi all,
Pretty new to the ford brand so excuse my ignorance.
Bought a low mileage 09 Eddie Bauer 4.0 V6 and trying to diagnose poor efficiency in my A/C system only when the ambient temps are up past the mid 90s.
I notice this car has no electric condenser fan like most other cars do. Then i look online and find one supposedly for my car, however i see NO WIRING on my actual car suggesting it ever came with one.

Can anyone confirm or deny if this car should have one?

If yes, also please let me know where to look!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is no factory electric fan at V8 explorers,as far as i know

However you can connect one by yourselfs using custom made wiring.

The fan could be controlled via 4 contact automotive relay.turn on voltage might be taken from the A/C coil wiring

Hi all,
Pretty new to the ford brand so excuse my ignorance.
Bought a low mileage 09 Eddie Bauer and trying to diagnose poor efficiency in my A/C system only when the ambient temps are up past the mid 90s.
I notice this car has no electric condenser fan like most other cars do. Then i look online and find one supposedly for my car, however i see NO WIRING on my actual car suggesting it ever came with one.

Can anyone confirm or deny if this car should have one?

If yes, also please let me know where to look!
Check for debris in the radiator and condenser. Sometimes this can reduce airflow and cooling efficiency.

Check for debris in the radiator and condenser. Sometimes this can reduce airflow and cooling efficiency.
Its very clear up there. New radiator and condenser was in great condition as far as flow goes. Still have an issue. Issue is only there when ambient temps rise past around 95.
If i spray condenser with water when the problem is present the air turns cold temporarily indicating insufficient cooling of the condenser.
Any other ideas?

There is no factory electric fan at V8 explorers,as far as i know

However you can connect one by yourselfs using custom made wiring.

The fan could be controlled via 4 contact automotive relay.turn on voltage might be taken from the A/C coil wiring
This is a v6 4.0 motor. Also, it has rear independent a/c. Same thing for those? No stock electric pusher?

I will likely wire up my own if there isnt a stock one setup. The issue goes away when i spray the condenser with water so i do believe insufficient cooling across the condenser is the culprit here.

Is this a known issue with these? I cant be the only one to have an issue like this in hot weather.

Its very clear up there. New radiator and condenser was in great condition as far as flow goes. Still have an issue. Issue is only there when ambient temps rise past around 95.
If i spray condenser with water when the problem is present the air turns cold temporarily indicating insufficient cooling of the condenser.
Any other ideas?
Are you using the air recirculation option? I find this helps a lot to get the inside temps down when the ambient temps are high.

Are you using the recirculation option? I find this helps a lot to get the inside temps down when the ambient temps are high.
Not 100% sure. But i believe so.
My goal here is t resolve the issue and get cold blowing air in the heat.
(I live in vegas and it gets HOT here)

Not 100% sure. But i believe so.
My goal here is t resolve the issue and get cold blowing air in the heat.
(I live in vegas and it gets HOT here)
The recirculation button is the one next to the AC button in the picture below if you have the system shown. This switches the air being moved through the vents from outside air to inside air. Using outside air when it is hot is less efficient in cooling the interior. By recirculating the inside air the system is using this colder air which makes the inside temperatures much cooler if the AC system is working properly otherwise. When recirculation is chosen the button illuminates. Without using this I see no way you will get the inside temperature lower even if you install electric fans.

57_85e79dd5-ac1b-4f01-819b-9a15eaf54bdf_1024x1024@2x.jpg

This is a v6 4.0 motor. Also, it has rear independent a/c. Same thing for those? No stock electric pusher?

I will likely wire up my own if there isnt a stock one setup. The issue goes away when i spray the condenser with water so i do believe insufficient cooling across the condenser is the culprit here.

Is this a known issue with these? I cant be the only one to have an issue like this in hot weather.
Leaks? Lack of R134 maybe?low a/c compressor efficiency ?

Leaks? Lack of R134 maybe?low a/c compressor efficiency ?
System operates and has since last summer so i doubt leaks. Could be a breaking up compressor i guess, but it works so well below 95 degrees ambient temps...
Dont have a gauge set to check pressures unfortunately :(

Well you need to check all the system components before any additional accessories installed

The recirculation button is the one next to the AC button in the picture below if you have the system shown. This switches the air being moved through the vents from outside air to inside air. Using outside air when it is hot is less efficient in cooling the interior. By recirculating the inside air the system is using this colder air which makes the inside temperatures much cooler if the AC system is working properly otherwise. When recirculation is chosen the button illuminates. Without using this I see no way you will get the inside temperature lower even if you install electric fans.

View attachment 429570

Well you need to check all the system components before any additional accessories installed
Crap, thats right, i forgot i checked pressures from PIDS with my scan tool last summer. Thats why i wasnt concerned with pressures. They seemed fine compared to factory specs
If i remember correctly it was over pressuring after getting heat soaked for a bit as well which lead me away from bad compressor

I had a weak compressor that needed to be replaced. There were no leaks etc. but it just wasn't working at 100%. It was replaced about two years ago and all has been good since then.

Any other ideas?
I missed this post. I don't know if spraying the condenser with cold water means much regarding malfunction of the AC system. You are introducing a variable that will lower air temps even if air flow is sufficient. If the cooling system lacks air flow then I would expect you would see some engine cooling issues arise too. If you don't then I think the fan is working properly.

I missed this post. I don't know if spraying the condenser with cold water means much regarding malfunction of the AC system. You are introducing a variable that will lower air temps even if air flow is sufficient. If the cooling system lacks air flow then I would expect you would see some engine cooling issues arise too. If you don't then I think the fan is working properly.
This was my way of thinking also. I dont have any overheating issues. But i got lead down the cooling idea because the system works soooo well under 95degrees, and everything else looks proper. My older nissan has a specific condenser fan on it that only turns on when ac is used or car overheats because my ford doesnt have a pusher fan of any type and just the clutch fan, i decided to look online and see if there is an electric fan sold for my v6 explorer online. Low and behold every site sells one... However when I look at my car, i cant find wiring or even a spot its supposed to be mounted in. And i dont see evidence of an accident which would be the only reason i think the car would end up missing a part that was originally there I.E. the body shop didnt replace the broken old one and put it back together without one.

You might look into the cooling fans for the 2005-2009 V6 Mustangs. They share the same 4.0L SOHC engine as the Explorer. These vehicles use an electric fan. If the radiators are similar they might work with some modifications.

I don't think any Explorers/Mountaineers from 1991-2010 had electric fans from the factory. The video linked below shows how to check for a weak compressor.

Addressing your original question (assuming yours is the v8). Having just replaced my 2010 v8 serpentine belt, it has a belt run fan. I have the blood and bruises to prove it (Not a fun job).

Addressing your original question (assuming yours is the v8). Having just replaced my 2010 v8 serpentine belt, it has a belt run fan. I have the blood and bruises to prove it (Not a fun job).
Thanks so much. I actually have a 4.0 v6. Idk why but i thought eddie Bauer would mean it had a v6. Guess there were multiple motors for it!

when asking questions, it is helpful to specify which motor you have. Looking at the belt routing diagram for the 4L, it also drives the water pump. On mine the fan has a wire connection which I assumes allows the fan to freewheel when not needed for cooling.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks so much. I actually have a 4.0 v6. Idk why but i thought eddie Bauer would mean it had a v6. Guess there were multiple motors for it!
there was the 4.0 sohc and the 4.6 modular 3v as i remember it

Back