A/C Heater Fan

Essex4x4

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Johnston Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Dodge Grand Caravan
My center mount fan turns off and on all the time. It seems as though it mostly does it under mid range throttle while accelerating. Or going up hill. Basically i have narrowed down exactly what the fan seems to be doing. When the center fan turns off the defroster comes on. Its almost as if im switching from the center fan to the defroster. There is no weird noises, clicks or anything else wrong. I haven't checked for fuses because im not sure where they would be if the fan has one. When the fan is actually working it seems to be operating as normal. It only changes under the varying throttle positions.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like a vacuum change. There is only one fan but the duct doors are controlled by vacuum. Loose vacuum and the door closes and redirects air to default of defroster.

definitly sounds like a vacuum leak....my dodge has one...doesthe same thing..mainly when going up hills

is this something i can fix or should i go to ford? I am no mechanic by any means so please be gentle :D Also as a side not i have the 75,000 warranty, is this something that will or will not be covered?

Just wanted to post an update on this problem. I took it to ford and yes it was a vacuum leak just as A WISE GUY first suggested. Thanks to the wonderfull people at Ford there was a $0.00 cost to me, no labor, and no parts charge, they fixed it and now it works again. THANK YOU FORD :)

Back