Stock auto hubs to manual (Warn) hub conversion. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Stock auto hubs to manual (Warn) hub conversion.

loudpyps

Reaction score
City, State
Emporia, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
im sure the question has been asked before, but i have a 94 xlt that runs like a champion but..... i keep stripping out the stock hubs, im only running 31's on it now so it seems to me that the stock hubs are just too lightly built for the off-roading i do, that said, i dont feel that i do enough serious off-roading to warrant swapping in a solid axle, is there anything i can do to beef these stock hubs like some kind of aftermarket replacement? HEEELLPPP THE MUDDY SEASON IS COMING!! :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Warn makes a kit that converts your auto hubs to a much stronger manual locking hub. Costs about the same as replacing the auto hubs, too!

just ordered the kit off ebay brand new should be here this week thanks!

This kit contains a pair of locking hub assemblies, spindle nut conversion kit and instructions to replace automatic hubs with manual hubs

another quick question ha ha im thinkin about buying a richmond spool for the rear, is there any other tidbits i need to know about? also is my 8.8 a 31 or 28 spline? i really appreciate all of your input

31 spline.

If you want a spool, weld it.
The only 8.8" spool available is a mini-spool (made of multiple pieces) and are known to break (or break the stock carrier). Properly welding it actually strengthens the carrier. Just be sure to leave the cross shaft free so you can take the axle c-clips out.

:/ im pretty new to the differential world, i've thought about welding it, and ive seen what welded rear end looks like but im entirely sure about the rest, should i get new axle shafts if i weld it?

No, your axles are fine.

Here's a pic showing how you'd weld your diff (7.5" > 8.8", same thing here). Note how everything is welded completely solid except for the axle ends, c-clips and the cross shaft.

welded%207-5.jpg

I assume this thing will primarily be an offroad toy? You don't really want a solid diff on the street.

well yea primarily offroad, but still will be drivin around a little and also to location since i dont have a row rig, still tryin to decide if i should save and just get a locker since it will be drivin on the street, they are just so damn expensive

Get yourself an Aussie Locker. They aren't expensive at all when it comes to lockers. The savings in tire wear alone will offset much of the locker's cost.

ok now i have a problem with the warn hubs, i took all the stock crap off but kept the splined washer and retainer clip and put the first spindle nut on, then the lock washer then the second spindle nut, the put the splined washer and retainer clip back on and then put the hubs on, locked them and put it in 4wd and it worked just fine in my driveway, then i head out to do a little four wheelin and shootin today and every time i put some kind of a load on it it sounds like its spittin the axle out of the up or something because it just starts spinned the axle but not the wheel and that mild grinding noise that gives me chills starts..... so.... did i install the **** wrong or do i need to contact warn about whats goin on? i could probably take pics and post them if anyone doesnt understand HELP! thanks

i pulled it off on one side cuz the other was working, the nuts were tight but i guess maybe i should pull them off again and make sure the bearing is seated all the way? we'll see

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...Since you are using brand new hubs, the only time I have seen what you described happen was, when the bearings weren't seated properly...

...Other than that, I'm with Foxracin...Let us know what you find..:popcorn:

Back