• Register Today It's free!

Stock Explorer Wheels

fjones

Reaction score
City, State
Kingsport, Tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Explorer XLT 5.0
I have 1998 Ford Explorer 5.0 AWD that has 15" wheels with 235-75-15 tires. I have a set of 16" stock Explorer wheels with 255-70-16 tires that I'm thinking about installing. Has anyone done this swap and know how much the speedometer will be off and if their is a way to correct it. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you speedo will read around 3.92% too slow...

Right! Here's how I figure theoretical rolling diameter:

235-75-15: 235 X 0.03937 = 9.25. 9.25 X .75 = 6.94 (sidewall width) X 2 + 15 = 28.88 inches rolling diameter.

255-70-16: 255 X 0.03937 = 10.04. 10.04 X .70 = 7.03 X 2 + 16 = 30.05

30.05 - 28.88 = 1.17. 1.17 / 28.88 = .040 which is 4%, slower because the new combination is bigger. imp

Actually, it will probably read very close to correct for a change. At least from my experience, most of them are set to read about 3-4% high - "to be on the safe side"

I have 1998 Ford Explorer 5.0 AWD that has 15" wheels with 235-75-15 tires. I have a set of 16" stock Explorer wheels with 255-70-16 tires that I'm thinking about installing. Has anyone done this swap and know how much the speedometer will be off and if their is a way to correct it. Thanks.

I did this swap, and agree that the speedo is slightly slow. And am impressed with the math skills here. You will be pleased with the swap, and speedo correction will not be worth the cost.

Good luck with the project.

Mr. Alligator

...looks like we've had some post deletions here. Just when it getting interesting.;)

LOL! Touche'!!

Sometimes I let things tick me off more than I should. Maybe because my intent is to help someone, not cause dissent. So, if one or two are at odds, I will try to let it go in the future.

Ya can't please everybody, eh? imp

Yeah, I guess my jest was taken offensively.

:dunno:

I did this swap, and agree that the speedo is slightly slow. And am impressed with the math skills here. You will be pleased with the swap, and speedo correction will not be worth the cost.

Good luck with the project.

Mr. Alligator
Thanks for the help!

Any benefits on putting the bigger wheels and tires on?

In my opinion, the 16 inch tires are superior to the 15 inch tires. Looks to be a better selection of tires available. Not a highly technical answer, but the larger rims and 16 inch tires feel like a more stable ride. I think.

Mr. Alligator

The speedometers of the 95-01 2nd gen's are the most accurate with a 30" tire. The 15's are a 29" tire, and the speedometers will read a little faster than accurate. The 16's are a 30" tire, and that will make the speedometer read very close to perfect, it should match any speed trap displays you find.

I've had several different tire diameters on my Mercury, stock being the 15's. I've got 29" tires on it again, these 18's. But soon I'll move to another 17" tire, still a 29" size, because that's the best choice for mine in a wider tire(275/55). I like the speedometer reading a little fast.

Back