Stock fogs on alone? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Stock fogs on alone?

I've seen the post before, but some one's gotta know what the deal is. Maybe I'll have to be the one to take the plunge and start tracing wires, but if any knows...
I'd like to be able to turn the stock fog lites on my '96 on w/ out any other (parking/headlamps) lites being on. I'm figuring there's gotta be a hot lead to the fog lamp switch that is some how pluged into the low beam head lite hot (+) wire. I would assume that it'd be inserted 1)some where at the fuse box at a headlamp fuse (not a hi beam fuse) so that it could activate only when headlamps are on, but I think that the headlamp fuse is always hot any way so that'd let the fog turn on any time... or 2) directly connected to on of the headlamp power leads, like between the relay and the (low beam) bulb. NOT the hi beam leads but the low beam leads so that the fog switch could only get power when the head lamps are on. Does any one know exactly where this wire runs? Should I just find that wire off the fog lamp switch and yank it out and plug it in to a constant power supply? Any one got the Helms book that could check this out?!? Thanx so much guys!! BTW the OME springs and shocks are in the Firehouse garage awaiting installation. I hope to have 'em in for the holidays! Take care,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It should be simple, but it's not. When I looked at the wiring to my stock fogs, it was a mess! Basically all the wires that run to the fogs go through the headlamp wiring harness first. Also, the wiring to the factory switch runs through (get this) the power to the radio and a/c! Theoretically, you could figure it out, but I don't like the stock lights anyway. I put on a pair of Pilot fog lights and like them a lot better. I can have them on anytime I want, even when the truck is off.

I agree LUV Mine (aftermarket) too...

At first, I wanted them wired in , but now...I like them on a seperate harness & switch. Like the look, just don't order Summit's (unless perhaps I just got a bum set) Mine cracked (both of them) but I can turn them on or off or whatever no matter what the condition! :) They still work though!

I three agree. After burning out two fog light switches at $20 some bucks apiece, trying to trace wires with the Haynes book and some "cut it & try it" I gotta say it cant be done by a normal person.
Besides the aftermarket lights are so much better. Even the ones that arn't PIAA are better that the Fords.

Bill, I agree that everyones aftermarket lights are better then Fords... the reason is of course, liability. If Ford included a PIAA-like fog light people would of course use them at night all the time, someone would get blinded, swerve in to a tree, and sue Ford for including such a "blinding light" as standard equipment on the vehicle, and probably win... However, aftermarkets just stick a label on the box that said "for off-road use only" and then its the persons own fault if he has them on in the city and only he can be held liable, not the manufacturer of the lights. I'm pretty sure that if Ford wanted to design awesome fog lights, and much brighter headlights, they'd have no problem doing so. Until then, gotta go aftermarket :). My 2 cents (thats the first time I've ever said that!) :).

Thanx guys. I guess I could just get replacements. Do ya think I could install some 55watt lites w/ the stock wiring? That'd be nice. Also, any ideas what to do w/ the old switch if I do replace every thing? Think a switch for the new set could be fit in there? Think I could use the existing switch w/ an after market set of lites and relays? Thanx again,

I would just use all new stuff. Most lights come with their own relays, wiring, and switches. I got some switches I likes at Radio Shack for my lights, but they don't illuminate like they should because the light relays are weird. Oh well, I like my switches anyway.

Besides, wasn't this thread about running fogs anytime you want? If you use the stock wiring, you're in the same boat once again.

Yeah, you're right. I was just weighing the diffs between the ease of putting in after market lites w/ the stock switches/wiring vs. the added work and more wires/relays running around my engine compartment. I did just add a set of IPF J-01's to my grill guard, I can run them when ever I want. If I could keep the stocks, but just change the lamps, I guess that'd be cool. I suppose one day when I get the guts to rip apart my entire dash, and all the wiring looms from there to the fog lites, maybe I can figure out just where that hot lead from the stock switch goes to!!! OK, now I'm rambling..... Thanx again for all the help!!

I've had the dash apart and have the ford wiring manual. I still can't tell what the fudge all the wires are. I just abandoned the stock fogs and they're both broken. Oh well.

so Alec are you going to put in some aftermarket fogs then or what?

Matt, I already have some Pilot 720? Fogs. Go to my webpage to see them. They look and work great.

Back