• Register Today It's free!

Stock head unit?

Nicholasv

Reaction score
City, State
Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT
I have recently purchased a 99 ford explorer.
And I do love my music but the stereo isn't cutting it.
Everything is stock in the explorer( i.e Stock head unit, and 4 speakers in the doors) no sub.
Would I be able to wire up a couple 6x8 speakers to the stock head unit for now. Until I find the head unit I want.
I've read forums on getting a sub on the head unit but none for my situation.
Im wondering if
They will run fine from the stock?
and if I can just use the stock wiring from the speaker.
I know there is a funky plug for the speaker so would I be able to just Clip that plug off and put on a diff connection to the after market speaker?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You mean run a subwoofer of your stock HU, not happening, you need and amp for a sub, not just HU power, beides it wouldn't put out just the low frequencies a sub needs it would put out everything

well I dont mean a sub I mean replace the stock speakers in the doors running on the head unit.
I know the HU probably has a low rms output.
But its its not possible I found a HU that I could pick up in a week or so.

Ur stock speakers will work just fine. Just don't try to pump a lot of bass through them. When most ppl come to me and ask if there speaker is blow... usually is. Only cuz they try to pump too much bass through it. If u go w/ some high watt speaker they'll sound fine but w/ an amp they'll sound amazing. For ur situation id stuck w/ some speakers between 30-50 rms. Go here for good quality cheaper speakers www.sonicelectronix.com

Ur stock speakers will work just fine. Just don't try to pump a lot of bass through them. When most ppl come to me and ask if there speaker is blow... usually is. Only cuz they try to pump too much bass through it. If u go w/ some high watt speaker they'll sound fine but w/ an amp they'll sound amazing. For ur situation id stuck w/ some speakers between 30-50 rms. Go here for good quality cheaper speakers www.sonicelectronix.com

Well I was planning on getting two 10" subs in the back In the future.
I'm Trying to get my system build over time.
I've been looking as speakers on that site for a couple days now.
And I would like to know if I should get component speakers or
just straight up 3 or 4 way speakers?

sound

ya yur good man. just dont run more speakers then whats already there. i assume yur talking about the door speakers rite. it wont hurt anything if you cut the clips for new ones. thats how custom audio places do it. yur good. make sure everything is off when you start cutting.

Well I was planning on getting two 10" subs in the back In the future.
I'm Trying to get my system build over time.
I've been looking as speakers on that site for a couple days now.
And I would like to know if I should get component speakers or
just straight up 3 or 4 way speakers?
Personally I like component speakers or 2 way. 3 and 4 are fine. Usually a component set will require more power than coax, but not all the time. Jl makes nice 5x7 2way speakers. There lower end speakers will sound amazing. I'm a fan of JL speakers :) alpine makes nice stuff to. But if ur on a budget powerbass, orion, pioneer, or kenwood make good sounding speakers. Don't get boss or sony... low end stuff is a no!

ya yur good man. just dont run more speakers then whats already there. i assume yur talking about the door speakers rite. it wont hurt anything if you cut the clips for new ones. thats how custom audio places do it. yur good. make sure everything is off when you start cutting.

Yeah Im just replacing the door speakers.
and K thanks.

Personally I like component speakers or 2 way. 3 and 4 are fine. Usually a component set will require more power than coax, but not all the time. Jl makes nice 5x7 2way speakers. There lower end speakers will sound amazing. I'm a fan of JL speakers :) alpine makes nice stuff to. But if ur on a budget powerbass, orion, pioneer, or kenwood make good sounding speakers. Don't get boss or sony... low end stuff is a no!

Thanks.
Yeah My father got sony speakers in his Grand Cherokee and they sound horrible..
Never going that route :p:

Simple answer to your question.

YES you can run aftermarket 6x8 speakers, just clip that little plug and connect the 2 wires, your stock headunit will be just fine, but it wont power them to theyre full potential, it will sound amazingly better though

Simple answer to your question.

YES you can run aftermarket 6x8 speakers, just clip that little plug and connect the 2 wires, your stock headunit will be just fine, but it wont power them to theyre full potential, it will sound amazingly better though

Ok so I decided to get a kenwood kdc 138.. Its cheap runs 22w rms per channel and has the features I need.
But Im looking at the speaker plugs now and the color wire is different on every door.
So Im trying to figure out what is positive and negative.
The plug does have a 1 and 2 next to the wires.
Im assuming 1 would be positive and 2 is negative.
But I dont want to blow a speaker trying. Oh and the stock speakers dont have any marks on them either :(

Edit:
Took some digging through various forums and threads....
http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/stereodetail/862.html
but maybe I should have searched the12volt.com first =P

Back