stock shackle bolts wont come out | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

stock shackle bolts wont come out

okay thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

410Fortune said:
punch it through :) How can it get stuck in the frame? we are talking shackles right? You mean the bolt that holds the shackle to the frame? How can it get stuck?
You can get to both sides.
grinder or sawzall will but that bolt like butter.

replace with grade 5 or 8 hardware ONLY

The upper shackle bushing is pressed into the frame. The upper shackle bolt passes through it and is now frozen to the inner bushing sleeve. If he cuts off both sides he will still have a bolt frozen in the frame.

I have used a ball - joint "C" press to force out stuck bolts with great success..

the alternative is to not install your new shackles. Cut bolt, punch it through, use a press or whatever, but it will come out with enough leverage/force.

It is 100% agreed he has to just get in there get it done.. I recall the biggest PITA about the job (barring the frozen bolts) was trying to work in the small area quarter panel side.

I had the same problem.....air hammer finally did the trick.

Lifted95X said:
I had the same problem.....air hammer finally did the trick.
3car said:
the problem is the bolts are rusted to the metal sleves that run through the rubber bushings. forget the torch and get a GOOD air hammer (snap-on, mac, matco, ect)and punch to drive them out.

even if you burn the rubber bushings out the bolt will still be stuck in the frame because the metal sleve is larger than the bolt hole.

show off :) that happens all the time mr 3 car :)

Just confirming....since you are a noob. :p ;)

okay as some one said i heated the bolts with a asedline i think thats how u spell it torch and then hit them with a hammer they didnt move then i tryed my palm nailer and they still didnt move but as for the "c" clamps it was moving along slowly then the clap started to twist and feel off and the bolts moved back if the metal sleeves comes out with the bolts can you put them back in easly ?

I don't think they can come out with the bolts? You now have to go to the next level.
Go at it with reckless abandonment.

I know that this is after the fact. But when I used to work for this Mechanical Contractor you allways had to bring your trucks in for a periodiac servicing. You would have to sometimes hang around the shop. One thing I noticed was that the mechanic allways sprayed somekind of lubricant between the spring leaves and also allaround the spring shackles and I'm sure some of it would work in between the bolts and sleave. So I allways do that too. In the long run it could save a lot of headaches. Maybe one of our mechanics on this site could tell us is there special lube for this? Is there one also for spraying on the rubber bushings that keep them soft?

The "C" clamp I used is pictured below... It can literally apply tons of force. It has a 7/8" head so I can use it with my impact gun which make it very fast and easy.. I you use a breaker bar the torq arm is LONG and will try and rotate the clamp (you have to hold the clamp in a vice to prevent if from moving). With the impact gun the torq arm is small so there is no need to hold the clamp)

To prevent this problem in the future you need to coat the bolts with Anti-Seize.. This stuff is a grease like lubricant that will not easily wash off and will keep the bolt from fusing to the sleave.

18205Pressing_out_ball_joint_3.jpg

I had the same problem when I did this last week. First the nut was rusted fast to the bolt. I broke a breaker bar trying to turn it. I had to split the nut with a grinder and chisel to remove it. Then the bolt would not push out. I used the grinder to grind the head off the bolt and push it through the other way. That worked much easier. Good Luck.

okay i think im going to try to drill the bolts out today because the "C" clamp wont work. can u buy new metal sleaves from an auto parts store just incase i mess these up im going to start around 2:45 because thats when i get out of school i left the C clamps on over night and tightend them up every hour the c clamp was bent this moring so that idea wont work.

You are using the wrong C clamp, you need a ball joint/u joint press like the one pictured above, you can rent it for free at most auto parts stores.

If you heat up metal bushings enough they will melt, allowing you to remove the entire thing and then you can also use your new rented press to install new bushings, I believe....

at least thats what I am getting from this thread.

thanks to all that helped and i got them out 1 of my friends has like a little jack hammer thing and they came right out once i used that
thanks

an air chissel?
air hammer? cuz thats what has been posted to use in this thread like 87 times :)

Glad you got them out!
Sometimes you just gotta go and do it, not think about it so much.

Glad to hear you got them out :thumbsup: Make sure you put plenty of anti-sieze on the bolts to prevent this from happening again.

hey egghead, did u finally get the bolt off? im having simular problem!!

I know this thread is ancient, but I am switching out my Nephews BroncII leafs for Gen1 Explorr leafs and same scenario - no way to use factory eye bolts from the leafs.. Anyone know what the OUTTER DIAMETER & LENGTH of the bolts I should pick up to replace (I know to use grade 8) just neet OD & length. FYI I would just order them from LMC or Energy, but no time to wait for shipping - I am gonna pickem up @ Lowes or HomeDepot

Thanks in advance!
-Mike

BTW its been a minute since Ive been on here and my sister Explorer is still running like a top!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thats funny cause Just went through all of that two days ago. The way that worked best for me was to burn the inside of the bushing (the rubber part of bushing) and get the bolt red hot then when the bolt is red hot I used a tie rod picklefork and wedged it on the head of the shackle bolt and wacked it a few good time with the 3 pound ford tool and the bolt came out. But u got to burn that rubber bushing part good. you can burn it out! Then the shackle bushings will beat out but they only come out one way. Then u can order shackle bushings to replace everything.

Back