Straight Axle Conversion | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Straight Axle Conversion

Reaction score
I own a 1996 Explorer XLT. Has anyone ever attempted to performed a straight axle conversion on their explorer? I've read numerous articles on Chevys and Toyotas losing their IFS in favor of a straight axle. I am not mechanically inclined enough to perform the work myself but I would be willing to have a reputable shop perform the conversion if the price and results were reasonable. I have a 44 frontend from a Grand Wagoneer that I would love to throw under the Explorer. Can I assume that the majority of the cost would be for labor?

------------------
FDEZ

This is a very interesting endeavor you are considering. There are many who have done and are considering to exchange a solid axle on the 1990-1994's. But the 90-94's have a considerably different front suspension, a suspension that closely resembles a live axle that essentially bends in the middle as an independent suspension (A Twin-Torsion Beam or TTB front axle). On the 1995-2000's however, the suspension is what we have come to know as actual independent suspension (When there is compression the tires stay level with the ground and well, you understand). There is one pperson on the board, can't remember who, who has a 2wd 95+ and is considering making it 4wd and throwing a solid axle up front to make the job cheaper and easier. It will definately make it easier to lift and more offroad worthy. Try checking out a local Offroad store, a lot of places will be able to do the job for you, but it won't be cheap however. There will be a lot of custom work involved, but if you are planning on doing any offroading, it will be worth it, not to mention the attention you will get from having such a unique rig! Let me know what you find out, it is a very interesting idea that you have and I would like to hear about your findings! Hope I helped at all!

------------------
Tim Y.
1996 Ford Explorer

I drive a 1993 EB that I did a solid axle swap under (Dana 44). If you will go to the address Dead Link Removed it may help with some questions. This swap was done on a truck with the TTB front. The swap can be done on your truck if you want to spend the money and time. Most of the brackets, mounts, steering, and other small items will need to be custom built.
Good Luck

------------------
Lance

[This message has been edited by TNExplorer (edited 02-04-2000).]

Back