Strange new ticking sound after replacing timing chain tensioners. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Strange new ticking sound after replacing timing chain tensioners.

Jrobeck506

Reaction score
City, State
Kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 Explorer Sport Trac
hello all,
I have always been able to find solutions on existing threads, so if this is is covered please redirect me.

03 sport trac 4.0 Sohc
I had a timing chain rattle on start up so I replaced the left and right tensioners. I primed them before installing them. I drove home from the shop and slept well thinking my problems had been fixed, as the noise had gone away. The next morning I started my truck and it had a strange tick that had never been there before. I let it warm up and it didn’t go away, so I replaced a quart of my oil with Lucas. I’ve asked several people but none of them have ever heard a noise quite like this. It does not sound like a typical timing chain noise. I am new to forums and have no idea how to share a video or I would. Is it possible the new one is defective? Could I have caused it during installation? Has anyone ever dealt with this before? It’s definitely coming from the front and top of the motor.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Make a YouTube vid then share a link or the title of the video

Bad tensioner or broken guide don't drive it use only ford tensioners

That is the sound that my new white/graphite '97 was making. I have damaged guides and tensioners on the 3 front chain assemblies.

He said after he replaced his tensioners may be the crap tensioner it happened to me when I bought autozone tensioners I would put the old one back in and if it goes away then guides are good just what I would do

He said after he replaced his tensioners may be the crap tensioner it happened to me when I bought autozone tensioners I would put the old one back in and if it goes away then guides are good just what I would do
The ones I bought were from auto zone, unfortunately I’ve already thrown the old one away. We’re you able to return your bad tensioner? I’m trying anything that isn’t replacing the timing chain, if it comes down to it, has anyone replaced the front timing chains on the 4.0 without the special tools and without pulling the motor?

Yes I returned the tensioner
And yes people have done it without the tools
Butt I say buy the tools no doubt

USE ONLY MOTORCRAFT TENSIONERS
Seriously the cheap ones are garbage
Even the ones made by Cloyes are no good and can be bad right out of the box

Chances are good that you have a bad guide, replacing tensioners was a good idea, but that still will not fix a bad guide

Luckily for you most timing noises in the FRONT of the sohc engine can be repaired with the engine in the truck by taking the block down to the timing cover.

USE ONLY MOTORCRAFT TENSIONERS
Seriously the cheap ones are garbage
Even the ones made by Cloyes are no good and can be bad right out of the box

Chances are good that you have a bad guide, replacing tensioners was a good idea, but that still will not fix a bad guide

Luckily for you most timing noises in the FRONT of the sohc engine can be repaired with the engine in the truck by taking the block down to the timing cover.
Yeeyeee so much fun rite

Thanks guys,
I’m gonna try replacing the tensioner with another new one in hopeful desperation. I’ll keep you all updated. Fingers crossed it works.

I ended up replacing the left tensioner again with another new one. Hasn't made the noise again so far, I ran it to bleed the coolant, and then 30 miles to work. I guess the first tensioner I bought was bad. Next time I’ll buy motorcraft. Thank you guys again

Good job:)

Agreed on the aftermarket tensioners. I put in new Cloyes tensioners and replaced them immediately with Motorcraft. See this thread: Solved - SOHC V6 Timing Chain Parts Sources

Only use Ford Motorcraft parts for any component of the timing chain system on these engines.

Back