Strange things happening with my transmission! Need Advise!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Strange things happening with my transmission! Need Advise!!!

steve63933

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 XLT 4X4 4.0L
2002 Ford Explorer 4x4 4.0l

Transmission model 5R55S

I changed the solenoid pack today due to a problem code with the O/D when I dropped the pan there was move shaving than usual on the magnet, it was the most I have since but considering I change my fluid and filter once a year it was not just terrible but alot. I no that is a little over kill on transmission fuilt changes, but anyway.

Second gear has a sound like a hissing noise when shifting from 1st gear to second but pulling just as good as any other gear.

Here is where the strange part is when the explorer down shifts to 2nd on it own and not all the way down to first it doesn't make any noise at all when I take off.

Do you think it's just the torque convertor issue that is causes my problems??

Also any guess on what it could be causing this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Why would you think it is the torque converter? It would make noise in every gear. Are you sure you filled the trans with fluid. Doing the, I drained 4 qts out so I put 4 back in hardly ever is correct.
What was the code?

The code I had/have after the soleniod pack is P0741 which is the torque converter lock out soleniod.

I have checked the fluid level and it is good

I too never go buy I removed 4qts so I add 4 quarts or what ever the amount my be.

The sound is like a hissing/rubbing sound with no real loss of power that I can tell.

If I pull up to a stop sign take off in first when it shifts to second it will do it everytime.

But if I go through a yeild sign and the transmission doesn't go down into first and is in second no sound at all???

Did the new solenoid pack fix the P0741 code problem?

I don't have much to offer here, but a couple of things:

1. I had a lot of shavings come from my bad torque converter (same code P0741), question is: Did it go bad on it's own, or was the failure due to a solenoid or hydraulic problem?

2. The F57 torque converter is prone to wear in the hub/seal area.

3. You may consider wet air testing the valve body, to check it for worn bores.

4. P0741 is a tough one.

It is offically toasted!!!!

I was pulling in my dads driveway and lost every gear even reverse.

So my question now is rebuild the one I have or go the salvage yard route?? If you suggest the salvage yard what year models are compatable?

Back