Strut Assembly - Coil Spring question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Strut Assembly - Coil Spring question

StormTrooperExplorer

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Limited
I'm cresting 115,000 miles. I just replaced the rear shocks and the improvement in ride quality was quite noticeable. My front suspension doesn't feel too bad, but it is getting up there in age. So, I'm looking at replacing the front strut assemblies. I've read too many bad reviews of monroe strut assemblies that I'm not going to bother with them. I am going to put together an assembly myself with motorcraft parts. I've got most of the parts needed ordered from RockAuto. My question is regarding the coil springs. They're easily $80 a piece and I am curious if I can get away with reusing the old ones. I don't mind spending the money if I have to, I was just curious if anyone with more knowledge than me could think I could get away with another 60k miles on the current coil springs?

Thank you

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Coils should be good, I've never replaced any unless they were actually broken or there was an obvious concern like a body lean.

Sure you can reuse them if there's not a problematic amount of sag. They generally age linearly, not all of a sudden wear out unless overloaded.

Coils should be good, I've never replaced any unless they were actually broken or there was an obvious concern like a body lean.
Sure you can reuse them if there's not a problematic amount of sag. They generally age linearly, not all of a sudden wear out unless overloaded.
Awesome, thanks!

I would Re use factory coil springs until we reach 200-300k miles and/or they show signs of sagging

Back