• Register Today It's free!

stuck in the river

BLKDIMND

Reaction score
City, State
NSW,Sydney Australia
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT
we have been having storms here for about a month now and was on my way home from a country trip in my xlt.Came to a bridge which i cross ever day thou it was dark, i saw some water a little higher than normal but thought nothing of it as my explorer would smash it.to my supprise the water come over the bonnet and stalled my car 50m into the crossing.
Got stuck there for the hole night and had to get a tow in the morning.Got water all through my interior and engine.
got it home and started pulling it apart managed to drain the water from the sump and put some fresh oil in it.
2 days of hard work managed to get the machine working again,what a car after all that its now running even better go the explorer.

Attachments

• DSC00018 (1).jpg
    DSC00018 (1).jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 372

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...glad to hear you made it out ok and a big :thumbsup: on not having to replace your motor...:D

I'm sorry about your Explorer getting stuck, but happy to know it had no major repaires. Traversing deep water can always be tricky and result in any number of problems.. Going slow (without a snorkle) tends to help as going faster tends to create a huge wave of water cresting over the hood/bonnet. When the fan hits the water it tends to spray it everywhere making hydrolocking your engine even more likely.

thats a deep azz "puddle"! geez, there's even white caps there, wow! glad everything worked out for you. theres something about deep water and us guys with 4x4's!

I'm sorry about your Explorer getting stuck, but happy to know it had no major repaires. Traversing deep water can always be tricky and result in any number of problems.. Going slow (without a snorkle) tends to help as going faster tends to create a huge wave of water cresting over the hood/bonnet. When the fan hits the water it tends to spray it everywhere making hydrolocking your engine even more likely.

But going too slow and not having enough revs sucks water in threw the tail pipe :thumbdwn:. i've had to drive threw some suprising flash floods in NE quite a few times and the trick is keep a nice steady pace and not letting off the gas completetly

few words.. Get a snorkle.. Your in Australia, the home of ARB.

they dont make them for the x here

yeh i think a snorkle is in order ,thou they dont make them here in oz so i think i need to start with the customizing.i have been meaning to put one on for a while .
The idol now somtimes flikers any idea what it could be??

oxegen sensors

i ordered new oxegen sensors today to see if that helps,are they hard to change i got the left and right ones.

You should have 4 of them, one in each manifold and 2 down stream.....though now that I'm thinkin I only have 3....I think....I have a OHV though. There are sockets you can purchase for changing them, if your not driving the truck start hitting them with pb blaster. Or soak'em the night before the change, that morning when you get up, eat breakfast then try changing them. They won't wanna come out due to being heated and cooled a million times.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...Tools&cName=Mechanics+Tools&keyword=O2+sensor

There's an example, I usually use a torch and box wrench/vise grips.

Glad to hear you made it out with out damaging your engine too badly. Looks like you're just goign to have to get a Snorkel.

Funny Story -We had one of the Bus drivers at our garage Hydrolock a International bus about a month ago. Same situation. It didn't look that deep, but it was deep enough to go into the air cleaner. Oddly enough the bus is 11 ft tall and the Intake is pretty much on the bottom of the bumper. I tried to tell them to put a snorkel on but they didn't go for it.

But going too slow and not having enough revs sucks water in threw the tail pipe :thumbdwn:. i've had to drive threw some suprising flash floods in NE quite a few times and the trick is keep a nice steady pace and not letting off the gas completetly

Seriously? water can get in through the Tailpipe? All like 6-7 ft of piping? Even with all the back Pressure at Idle? Just curious.

If the water pressure is greater then the exhaust pressure hell yea it could. Plus if there is enough water it can just run up the pipe and keep the exhaust from coming out which I'm pretty sure will kill the engine.

Man you better change all the fluids- back axle needs it after any water- water wouod have gone it the breathers- it will wreck the bearings in no time!

Man you better change all the fluids- back axle needs it after any water- water wouod have gone it the breathers- it will wreck the bearings in no time!

i checked the levels they all seems ok,should i change the fluids anyway?

Back