Studding your own tires? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Studding your own tires?

I live in Anchorage, AK. Driving around here is kind of treacherous in the winter time. I have my 04 Explorer, and a 2008 Pontiac G6. The tires on both cars have about 10,000 miles on them, but I'm not real pleased with the tires. They're kind of noisy in the summer time on the road. So, I'd like to stud them and then buy some nice Michelin's in the spring when the roads thaw. Has anybody ever studded their own tires? A buddy and I plan to rent the stud gun this weekend and give it a shot. Any tips?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So, the tires you have are studdable?

Studding used tires is not recommended since road debris is pry in the stud holes, so getting it all out might not be possible, and/or the studs might not stay seated.

Maybe consider siping your tires. I had some tires siped in the past. I was quite impressed, and the tires wore evenly. While the siping was good, it did not compare to the traction of studs.
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/tireSiping.dos

I had a bad experience with some studded tires on my Paseo. Some studs unseated at 75MPH on the first trip on the interstate. I went to another tire dealer, they told me the studs I got were junk, and he could by them for like 1000 for $1. I return to the original tire dealer, complained, and left with the same tire, but new, and siped.

Can't and shouldn't be done. If they've been run on the ground for any amount of time, studding the tires is not a good idea and not recommended by any of the tire manufacturer. You can try but many have failed trying to do this as there are small rocks, dirt, etc., that get into those holed and when you try to drive the stud with the stud gun, they won't seat completely. After one or two drives with the tires, they start coming out or even throwing out as you drive down the road.

Do me a favor when you do your test drive, go north towards Eagle River so I don't have to worry about you going by my 08 X and throwing studs into my paint job. :D

P.S. I've lived up here since 1966 and know what I'm talking about when it comes to winter and vehicles. Don't try to slide a pile of hot Kingsford charcoal under your X to warm it up...buy a block heater. I've seen 'em go up in flames with that little stunt.

If you need studded, look on craigslist or alaskaslist and you can always find a good set of four for $100 to $250 depending upon condition. Be sure to check them thoroughly inside and out, and you won't be half as sorry as you will be when you try studding your own...the inside of you wheel wells will look like it was hit by a porcupine with metal quills.

Thanks for the advice! I'll probably just get some studded tires then. Still, I'm not understanding how the dirt or rocks could be a problem. I'd have to drill holes in my tires first, right? How would there be dirt in there? Anyways, I've been looking on Craigslist, but can't find tires for my G6 which has 17" rims or my X with 16" rims. Most of the tires on there seem to be 15". Still, I'm keeping an eye on it.

Okay, if you're talking about drilling your own, I've known a few guys who have done this successfully but you want to make sure there's enough rubber there for the studs. Add to the fact that if you drill too deep, it will require a patch on the inside and you will never be able to have a stud in that slot again. Too many of those and you've ruined a perfectly good set of tires. If you are going to drill your own, take your time and mark the bit so you don't penetrate too deeply.

As for finding tires, have you checked alaskaslist.com too? Keep on eye on both craigs and alaskas, you'll find them.

It would be better to go directly to a tire shop and try to get a good deal on studded tires. They might even have some used studded tires in stock, since you're in Alaska.

Don't drill holes in your tires and try to stud them. There's a good chance that it won't work out well for you.

Back