stripped studs.. need to replace | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

stripped studs.. need to replace

ok.. i was doing a tire rotation this weekend and it was insane. the last time my wheels were removed was by the ford dealer when i got a free rotation (big mistake) with my oil change. they must have put the lug nuts back on with about 50000 ft/lbs of torque. it took me and a buddy with a short cheater bar to get most of them off. no way in hell i'd have gotten them off by myself on the side of the road. anyway, we ended up poping one of the studs and 2 were stripped horribly. all this on one wheel. i had an extra stud lying around for some reason so i fished it through the brake system and managed to pull it through and tighten it down. so i am on 3 lug nuts on the front passenger wheel now. i want to replace the other 2 studs that are stripped but i want to do it right. the one that i fished through isn't really ALL the way in, but it isn't moving and is not hitting anything! :) anyway, what is involved in properly replacing studs? thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Easiest way to seat studs is to fish them through like you did, then put washers over them and draw it in with a lug nut. Make sure they are seated, because they WILL loosen up if you don't.

cool.. i thought there was a real way to do it. thanks for the response. i called the ford place to tell them thanks for their wonderful work (kinder than that) and she said it would take them about an hour per stud! WHAT! i did that one in like 5 minutes and it was the first one i'd done!

You could always take it to a place like Midas, or Merlins... they press them in for fairly cheap.
Pete

JDraper..
ok, i'm going crazy. how do you pull them through? i was looking today and i can't remember how i did it that last time. i don't remember if i pulled the brake assembly off or not. i'm too young to be loosing memory! i feel really dumb now as it wasn't long ago when i did it the first time!
i'll try pete's way if i can't figure this out again.

Can't help ya on that one. I've never tried it on one of the newer X's

If I were you I would have them replaced. You don't want to find a homemade solution for something as important as your wheels. Same thing happened to me and several times my tire almost flew off on the freeway. Thankgod I got to my shop safely, but I needed to replace the entire rim because it was so warped. GET IT DONE RIGHT.

Thats the way Most of us replace the Wheel Studs:

Feed them from the back thru the hole, and draw it on with the Lug Nut, using washers. It helps if you have an Impact gun, But you HAVE to Watch the back of the stud and stop the impct gun when you see the head is seated on the flange.

Wheel stud are easy and cheap to replace, If you break one, Replace it As Soon As Possible!!!!! The longer you wait the Weaker the Other wheel Studs will get.

cboug.. thats the thing. we did that to one but i can't remember how i did it. i can't find a way to feed it through without taking the brake assembly apart, and i don't remember doing that the first time! maybe my mind is going bad and im just forgetting stuff. do you have to take the brake assembly off or is there a space to feed it through without.
also.. the stripped studs are still in there.. should i just bang them out with a hammer or use a clamp or something? the other one broke off inside from torquing it and it feel out basically on its own. thanks for any help. i'm too yound to forget stuff so fast!

front passenger

dang.. i really don't remember taking it off last time. i'm going crazy. thanks!

Back