Stuff in the oil pan | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Stuff in the oil pan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i had the same thing happen. i just cut the chain off and left the balance shaft in the motor. some say you can do that, some say you cant do that. all i can say is i didnt notice any problems after, however i was selling the truck, and it sold shortly afterwards.

Leave the chain off and keep it moving

Well I screwed up and broke the rear jackshaft TTY bolt off in the jackshaft. Time to take it apart again.

Did you use a new bolt
Stupid. ? I know

Yes, I got a new new one for both the front and back.
Believe it or not
I have seen this before.
were you able to remove the rest of the bolt ?

Believe it or not
I have seen this before.
were you able to remove the rest of the bolt ?
No, I'm going to have to take the jackshaft yo a machine shop to remove it.

Alright the machine shop got it extracted and it only cost me 69 dollars. The new bolts are all I'm waiting for now, everything is put on. The only thing i see in the engine that doesn't look good is one of the cam shaft seats. It has some feel-able vertical scars, but my mechanic said the head would need machined to fix it. So I'm doing the right thing and pretending I didn't see it. I was surprised to find out the old tensioners were original, I don't know how they made it 265k but my Chevy friend said its Ford tough so I'm rolling with that. I'll keep the tread updated with my progress, and any more future screwups.

IMG_20211010_152550031.jpg

It's back in everyone, and..... IT SOUNDS NORMAL. No chain rattle, no clicking, no shaking it's runs perfect. Also I believe leaving the balance shaft un-chained freed up a little bit of power. The engine revs faster and feels like it has more power when driving. I couldn't be prouder of it, and I want to thank everyone who has stayed involved in the tread and helped me through this journey.

Thanks,
John

Great now change your oil more often than you should

Great now change your oil more often than you should
Full synthetic 5W-30 every 3k with a wix filter, like a wise old man taught me.

I would use a motorcraft filter
Fl1a I believe

I would use a motorcraft filter
Fl1a I believe
I might try the motorcraft again, but I've had a bad time with them. I am planning on going for a prelude system when I have the money. I know it really helps on this engine.

What happened to you with Motorcraft filters?

Either go to mechanical tensioners or replace with Ford OEM every 75k religiously. No Cloyes, no bullshit.

What happened to you with Motorcraft filters?

Either go to mechanical tensioners or replace with Ford OEM every 75k religiously. No Cloyes, no bullshit.
I had one rust out over winter on my ranger. It was perfectly fine when put on, but after it started dumping oil on the drive way I noticed my filter had rusted threw. Talking it off was a pain. Lucky I caught it before driving on the highway and loosing all my oil. Since then I started running wix after an old farm recommend them to me. I do plan todo tensioners every 50k or maybe 25k, since it's not hard todo and good maintenance.

Hey guys, I decided to run a cold compression test (didn't feel like burning my hands) on the motor just to see what it was sitting at.
Cylinders
1: 174
2: 176.5
3:179.5
4:180
5:177
6:179

Is this good for the motor. It has 266468 on the clock.

All the numbers are close to the same
This is what I look for
Imo your numbers look good

Here is a chart from the FSM look in the last row
Capture.PNG

Those numbers are great, especially cold.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Awesome, I was hoping they were good.

Back