• Register Today It's free!

stupid or not stupid

nvrhapy

Reaction score
City, State
detroit, michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 sport
hey guys i got a 1996 explorer sport, i just picked up some used 31 inch tires and threw them on my x and i kinda liked the look, i been on this site for the past week getting ideas of what else to do. well i just got done doing the TT and i was very happy with the results so i was going to go ahead and get the shackles for the back to even it out. now i'm thinking about a BL and bigger tires but my x is only 2 wheel drive do you guys think that it would be stupid to do this to a 2 wheel drive x.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

no not stupid, theirs plenty of guys/girls on this site that do that for the look or even for off roading. Personally id say that if you want it get it cuz it aint ment for pleazing the pedestrians, its ment for scarin them :D

i also was thinking about putting a diffrent gear in my rear end, right now i got a 3.27, i was thinking about doing a 4.10, what would be the pros and cons of changing the ratio and how expensive and hard is it to do ?

I did it for a while. Here is my 2WD with TT/Shackles/3" BL on 32s.

Dead Link Removed

Gears are expensive to change (around $500 I think for 2WDs) but would be well worth it especially if you throw in a locker or LS during the install.

Gears will help you get more low end because it is geared lower, you may sacrifice some highway speed but probably not much. Plus if you go larger tires, such as 32-33" it will help make it comparable with your stock gear ratio/tire size which will give you back some gas mileage with the larger tires.

Also, since you are only 2wd I belive you have nother option of gears besides the usuals, I think it is 4.27s not for sure on that, I'm sure someone will chime in and let you know.

Back