Sub Box in 07 sport tract??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sub Box in 07 sport tract???

ladmarines

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 XLT 4.0
Any Body have anything behind or under the rear seats. If so could you post some pice. i would like to see what my options are. I am redoing the factory sound system with new 6 by 9s and a need head unit and i want a little more base. not looking for anything crazy. just maby one 10 in box.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 10 under the seat and replaced the 8 in the factory enclosure.

And you need 6x8s, not 6x9s.

I found out that the were 6 by 8 after i went looking online for sound stuff

I just modified the factory sub/storage compartment (my ST did not come with premium sound) to accept a 10" sub (in the Spring I need to add a thin fiberglass coating to stiffen the compartment a little). The size (volume) is just a tad small for the 10" that I used so an 8" might be a better choice. I wasn't looking for super booming bass.....just nice, tight low end to compliment the upgraded 6x8's that I installed in the doors and a 5 channel amp that's mounted behind the rear passenger seat. It sounds way better than the factory premium setup and I'm quite happy with the results.

IMG_0801.jpg

that looks cool. but i bought the speaker box that holds two 10" subs. not sure what i am gona put in it yet. building a little at a time. i am gona put the amp and battery cap in that stoarge box. But it does look like a sub box. is there a lot of rattling with your setup?

Did you get the one I linked above? Be careful on your mounting depth, it is tight back there.

yes i did. i am looking a shallow mount 10" subs. so that should not be such a problem. i went to the web to find subs. I have a 10" Kicker Solo Baric L7 but it does not work for me sitting on the back seat.

Kicker Comp VT 07CVT102

I found these on line and they are shallow mount. not to just find the head unit and i'll be set.

Hey Incubus

That sub looks awesome, I want to do the same thing to my trac. Did you put anything behind the sub for mounting it or just srew it to the lid? Also what about inside the compartment did you just leave it open or put anything in there? How did you run your wires to that compartment? thanks for any help

I was going to glass the storage compartment this weekend, but the weather has turned cold again. Anyway, you might want to check the Kenwood KFC-XW1000F 10" sub also. It is a shallow mount sub. I bought one for my '07 after hearing one in a friend's single cab Ranger. Might be an option for you also.

That sub looks awesome, I want to do the same thing to my trac. Did you put anything behind the sub for mounting it or just srew it to the lid? Also what about inside the compartment did you just leave it open or put anything in there? How did you run your wires to that compartment? thanks for any help

I have a piece of MDF glued to the back of the lid. Nothing else in the box yet. When I installed it the weather was starting to turn cold and I had other projects going on at the time so i just did the minimum. Sometime in the Spring I'll just lay a coat of fiberglass on the inside to stiffen the box up and fit a small port at that time as well. As far as the wiring....the amp is next to the box on the rear compartment wall and the wires just fit in a small gap under the compartment. The PITA was getting the amp power wire from the battery to the amp without drilling any holes. :confused::eek:

I have a piece of MDF glued to the back of the lid. Nothing else in the box yet. When I installed it the weather was starting to turn cold and I had other projects going on at the time so i just did the minimum. Sometime in the Spring I'll just lay a coat of fiberglass on the inside to stiffen the box up and fit a small port at that time as well. As far as the wiring....the amp is next to the box on the rear compartment wall and the wires just fit in a small gap under the compartment. The PITA was getting the amp power wire from the battery to the amp without drilling any holes. :confused::eek:

How did you pull this off? I'm prepared to drill a 3/4" hole in my firewall as I see nowhere else to run mine.

In the storage compartment (my sub box) there is a rubber plug that covers the body bolt. Next to the body bolt there is a hole that was just big enough for me to fit a grommet and fish the power wire through. My power wire is a 4 gauge and is pretty flexible so it wasn't too bad once I found where to feed it though.

I ran the wire from the battery down the driver's frame rail (in a plastic wire loom) zip tied to other lines on the frame rail then up through the hole. I just shined a flashlight through the hole from the interior side and found it from underneath. Pretty clean with no new holes......my power needs aren't as severe as some though so any bigger wire will need another solution.

I haven't looked yet, but is that hole 3/4" or larger perchance? That's the size I need for a run of Knukonceptz 1/0. Thanks for the info.

No way you'll fit that through the hole I used and no room to get a drill in to enlarge it either.

ladmarines,

would you mind sending or posting some pictures of that SoundOff dual 10" enclosure now that it's installed?

Anyone?

i ended up not getting it. i ordered it and something came up with them and i cancled the order. but i am told that it fits nicley. but you have to get small shallow subs to fit

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bleh. I was hoping to get some pictures. I've been trying to install my system forever now. I did discover that in a few months Metra will have an interface kit for Sync equiped vehicles for use with aftermarket head units.

I'll be waiting until then before I install anything I guess. Really annoys me that I can't fit anything for bass in that vehicle. It's even smaller than my reg cab 05 F150 was lol!

Back