• Register Today It's free!

Subs are rattling?

Greaser Tony

Reaction score
City, State
Mechanicsville, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Sport
I have 2 12" Alpine Type E subs in a sealed box. A few days ago I noticed a rattling sound. I was pretty sure it was the hatch because that rattles like a sumbitch anyway, but it's not. I felt/heard the rattling coming from the subs. Are they blown or did the inside of the box come apart or what?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

push the sub in with your fingers, around the center cone as to not break it or anything. Push the sub in, repeat a couple times (be carfully not to damage anything). If you dont feel any scraping your subs are ok. (at least this is the simplest way to test)

at what volumes does it rattle on? If it only does it when you're blasting the music then you're most likely bottoming them out and you should not turn it up to that volume anymore.

push the sub in with your fingers, around the center cone as to not break it or anything. Push the sub in, repeat a couple times (be carfully not to damage anything). If you dont feel any scraping your subs are ok. (at least this is the simplest way to test)

I did that and didn't feel any scraping with the subs.

at what volumes does it rattle on? If it only does it when you're blasting the music then you're most likely bottoming them out and you should not turn it up to that volume anymore.

When I first got the subs I didn't have this problem. So if I was bottoming them out wouldn't it of done it since day one and not months later?

The music doesn't have to be turned half way up for the noise to start.

could be that the box isnt 100% sealed anymore

well when boxes are made the inside is lined with silicon so they are sealed all the way, sometimes the seal can crack and peel off causing the leaks, or it could be that you didnt mount it completely flush with 8 screws.

If you find out exactly where the rattling is coming from it would be better, but if it is coming from your subs, could be a number of things. Make sure all the mounting screws are tight first off, if it's a Q logic box with the plastic crap on the front that could be your culprit right there! Are both subs rattling... some more information, if it is just one sub rattling, the dustcap/cone cover could be slightly loose from the actual cone underneath, tinsel lead loose, voice coil alignment, shorting ring blown etc. hard to tell...

I found out the problem. The silicon that goes around the box is cracked in some places, so the rattling I was hearing was the wood vibrating against each other because soon as I put my hand on it the noise stopped......... So now my next question is, what is some good stuff I can use to seal it back up??? I was thinking about that yellow foam **** in the can.

That yellow expandi stuff may expand a bit more than you'd like, just get some liquid nail style sealant and put er in there, you could predrill, and put a screw in there to further tighten it up.

Well I sealed the cracks back up but it still does it, just not as bad... I might just build a new box, or just sell my subs and amp. I dunno, it was fun for the first couple of months but now it's no big deal anymore.

i know how you feel, i sold my 2 l7's and kx 850.2 amp and recently bought hid lights, clear corners, chrome pillar post, new tail lights, and led lights all the way around, and still have alot of cash left over, and im lovin it

Back