Subs break things...

Charlie

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Limited
Well, the past few days, there has been a strange rattling from my subs. Not my car rattling, but the actual sub/box itself. I knew it wasn't the sub, because it was a clear rattling sound, like something in the box came loose. I thought it had been the baffle on the inside or something. Well, looked at it today. I was surprised something would have come loose, because I had plenty of screws (#6 x 1 5/8) throughout the box, plus I had used a construction adhesive everywhere too, to hold it together, and help seal it.

So, I turned it on, looking in the back, trying to figure out what was wrong, when I noticed that the sub was moving up and down a little bit...
shear.jpg

3 of the screws holding the sub in had sheared off! I used the same screws for the box construction. They aren't really big, but I would have never expected this! I just replaced them for the time being, and will be putting in bigger ones soon. I'm assuming that the box will be fine, since I used a lot, every 5" or so, along with the construction adhesive. I guess time will tell, though.

I've heard of subs knocking off interior panels, and damaging other things from rattling, but never popping the sub out! I'm really surprised it did this, since the screws are just holding it down (sub is on top of box) and it's vented.

I'm also going to take Donner's idea and put another cable through the spare tire and frame. I noticed after testing it in the garage to see what was rattling, that there was some surface rust that falls off. I looked down, and the spare tire was moving a little bit, along with the bottom of the floor. I'd hate to have subs rattle the spare tire enough to break the little cable holding it up, so I'll be taking precautions.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had my Boston 12.5LFs tear the threads off some 1/4 inch cap head hexs in t-nuts on a sealed box, took forever trying to spin those and pull up at the same time to get them out.

My 19Ov.2 did this

DSC02393.jpg

Use some #10 washers and some sheet rock screws...heavier duty. I never had any problems after that

i'd rather use a quality allen bolt than a screw with a t-nut.

make sure the t-nut is quality too or else it will strip

i'd rather use a quality allen bolt than a screw with a t-nut.

make sure the t-nut is quality too or else it will strip

When I said Cap head, I did mean Allens, lol...I used this kit, but like I said, I was able to slay a couple of the bolts, but it was a 1cuft sealed box at >1500 watts rms....violent is an apt description.

260-778m.jpg

i wasn't talking about you lol...you know the right.

ford freak said use screws with t-nuts = no no

Allen bolt.......Agreed....Kinda like a heavy duty screw.

Back