Suggestions on re-connecting A4LD to engine? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Suggestions on re-connecting A4LD to engine?

saxon

Reaction score
City, State
seattle, wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 & '93 EB, 4WD, 4-door
I'm sure that I read somewhere on this forum about what to do and what not to do when re-connecting an A4LD to the engine but I can't find those postings.

I seem to remember something about how NOT to knock the torque converter or pump out of whack.

Will be installing a 1993 4WD X A4LD into a 1991 4WD X as soon as the box o' upgrade parts (servos and governor; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1452734&postcount=3) arrives from Florida.

Suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oh man you better be familiar with stabbing an auotmatic and seating the torque converter before you do it, otherwise you can have to do it twice or really screw up your trans...

Have you tried a search?

Basically the converter must be seated all the way on the front inp[uter shaft/oil pump drive on the trans as you stab the trans and bolt the bellhousing to the engine.
The converter bolts must line up with the flywheel before you pull the bellhousing all the way to the block.
Then once the trans is bolted in place you can install the converter stud nuts throught eh flywheel. On the A4LD there are 4 of them.
When you do this it should actually pull the converter forward about 1/4"=3/8" inch.
Then you turn the crankshaft over by hand until the next bolt becomes accessable; this is done throught he starter hole in the trans. You get all 4 nuts starter and finger tight then torque them down slowly 1 at a time until they are torqued properly

I can do this process now with hand tools by myself in about 20 minutes, but the first time took a bit longer thats for sure :)

The hydraulic lines are stiff, and are a little hard to align when they are reconnected to the A4LD. Use flare wrenches on those fittings. There are 2 places to get to the torque converter nuts. One is where the starter is connected, and the other place is the opposite side where there is a block off plate.

LOL yeah the first time is the worst, 2nd is a hell of a lot better, had the transmission out pretty quickly the 2nd time, putting it back in was alright the first attempt, i literally got under it and lifted it up over the y pipe and was just about to get it bolted up to the engine, when i spun the torque convertor and noticed it was grinding on the bellhousing.. thought i better play it say so i dropped it back down (note i did have the torque convertor installed right) found out its normal for that to happen sometimes, and when you bolt it up it pulls it enough so that it wont hit. I lost serveral hours on this thing since i didnt know this. Finally got it together, another thing is watch for wires/tubes, anything like that that might get pinched in the bellhousing.

Good luck :D

I'm not taking the torque converter off the good transmission (from the 1993); just replacing the intermediate and OD servos, the governor, and both solenoids.

If I leave the torque converter in place, I should be good to go right (or can I still screw that up)?

btw, I'm saying this w/o ever having seen a torque converter up close and personal so that last question may be totally wrong. I pull the 1st of the two transmission out this evening (only 5 bolts, two oil lines (bought a flare nut wrench just for those), and the fill tube bolt left to go).

the torque converter will come unseated, it is not bolted on you see.

Before you install ANY auto transmission you better make sure the TC is seated fully as stated above, and that it doesnt slide forward during the install proccess, until you are ready for it too.

yeah, its pretty easy to seat it right to if you dont know how. I always filled it up (th TC) with transmission oil before I seated it, takes a while though.

yes you should drain the converter as much as possible and fill it with about a quart of new fluid before installing.

It is an excellent idea to replace the flywheel spacer too.The stock replacements are about $7.50 and are of a sintered material. Sonnax has one for under $10 that is a billet material. Once my sintered ones are gone I will use the Sonnax exclusively..

Flywheel spacer? okay, I'm sure that part is somewhere in the A4LD bible but the bible is kind of long and I don't recognize that spacer by name.

Do you mean the front stator bushing? http://www.transhardparts.com/parts/parts/56000C-01.htm

or the bell housing bushing? http://www.transmissionspecialty.com/parts/parts/56001X.htm

I looked down one of Sonnax's A4LD parts lists (their site is bit hard to navigate) http://www.transmissionspecialty.com/parts/DM/A4LD.htm and did not see a flywheel spacer.

Got a part number?

Anything else I can (or should) replace while the transmission is out?

I looked over the transmission rubber mount and there is a small surface split all the way across (the long way) but the split is only 2-3mm deep. BMW transmission mounts break all the time (mine included) but they are teeny compared to the one from the X.

A-ha! I forget that many parts from the newer transmissions have been checked out as better parts for the A4LD. Duh.

Thanks!

which one?

Do I need the six hole or the eight hole Sonnax spacer? (for a 1991 block connected to a 1993 A4LD).

I'm not taking the torque converter off the good transmission (from the 1993); just replacing the intermediate and OD servos, the governor, and both solenoids.

If I leave the torque converter in place, I should be good to go right (or can I still screw that up)?

btw, I'm saying this w/o ever having seen a torque converter up close and personal so that last question may be totally wrong. I pull the 1st of the two transmission out this evening (only 5 bolts, two oil lines (bought a flare nut wrench just for those), and the fill tube bolt left to go).
can you stab the transmission on a 94 Ford Explorer with the torque converter already on the motor

You could try. Not going to like the outcome.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

can you stab the transmission on a 94 Ford Explorer with the torque converter already on the motor

Oh man, that would be a hell of a lot of fun. Mostly HELL, and not really fun at all.

I laugh thinking of treating the whole trans like a big weight you hold in two hands, and gently "feel" it miss or engage as you slip it onto the torque converter.

Don't do it.

Back