Sunroof Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sunroof Question

88red4cyl

Reaction score
First off, I tried the search, but I couldn't find any issues similar to mine that ever came to a resolution..

That being said, the sunroof on my 96 Limited is not functioning correctly. It will vent and close correctly with no problems. When you go to open it fully, it opens just enough to let wind noise in at speed and stops. This is the first sunroof I've had, so I'm not sure where to begin troubleshooting..
Thanks!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sounds like a bad motor, or something is caught in the track.

I know on my sunroof on my 94 there is a what looks like button in the ceiling behind the sunroof that can pop off and you can select if your sunroof will open all the way or not at all or just vent by turning the "screw" underneath the button. That said if yours does not, if the motor is not running it sounds like that may be your issue. Unfortunately, to replace/clean the motor you have to take the headliner down.

Alright, I was able to go out and look at the sunroof from the outside as I pressed the button. From the closed position, when I press the button to open the sunroof, the sunroof moves down, and then stops. I cannot hear the motor run when I hold the switch, just clicking each time I let go of the button.

Alright, I was able to go out and look at the sunroof from the outside as I pressed the button. From the closed position, when I press the button to open the sunroof, the sunroof moves down, and then stops. I cannot hear the motor run when I hold the switch, just clicking each time I let go of the button.

hmmm... Perhaps the glass is off the track?

There's no easy way to troubleshoot this without taking the headliner out and going a bit deeper.

Back