Supercharger install 9+lb boost! Full build | Page 30 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Supercharger install 9+lb boost! Full build

Happy Father's Day to everyone. This is the kind of project that makes life fun for fathers, to have any children spend time helping or watching. Keep at it, and the sharing on forums like this.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the kind remarks
My son and I have had tons of fun with this build
Learned a lot to

I've used TONS of your threads for repairs
The detail and info is invaluable on this forum
Kuddos for passing it on. Actual wrenching isn’t done enough in driveways and home garages.

Nice!

Today we put some exhaust wrap on the egr extension tube

View attachment 168979
THIS WAS A MISTAKE
HIGH INTAKE TEMPS at Highway speeds and passing

Took you a while to figure this out don!

Big temp drops now

I removed the egr wrap ...except by the the fuel line
The stainless egr extension acts like a cooler and works well

Will post the other big mistake tomorrow .

Here is the egr tube unwrapped
Look how hot it was getting
The back of the power steering tank has insulation on it to protect it
There is a 1.5 inch clearance

20210731_182038.jpg

Mistake #2
The hose I used for the pcv collapsed
Causing high idle ....
I bought some fuel line rated for pcv systems
$3 a foot ...wth
Put a bunch of 10 gauge romex in the new hose and bent it into shape
Little hair dryer action

20210731_182340.jpg

20210731_182424.jpg

Update
It was time for a oil change

20210808_141832.jpg

The oil in the intake was getting to me
We had to take off the supercharger to change its oil 8 bolts and some vac lines
So while it was off we decided to modify the factory oil separator
The oil separator is baffled but tons of oil gets through still
We added some surface area lol
Now the metal was unrolled and very carefully put it up in the separator between the baffles very fluffy like
We put it in there in a way so that it CANT get blown or sucked out put 150 psi through it both ways ...no little pieces or shavings in there
There's also no resistance in the flow through it
Pcv valve operates normally
The picture below shows it halfway in there
20210808_142248.jpg

The zip tie was temporary
We did install a new o ring
We didn't use all of it just some....about 6"
I just put a fresh one for the picture
20210808_142204.jpg

It works lots more surface area for the oil vaper droplets to stick to and drip back down
I'm sure their is some risk but
Yall know i would not risk my motor
seriously its strong Cooper And in there good
I will clean this In my ultra sonic cleaner every 50k when I change the supercharger oil no prob
I also installed a small separator on the intake end to
A small amount of oil was getting blown out of the valve cover vent under boost ....before this mod
20210808_172520.jpg

I will update

I like the idea of an oil separator, but I would love to improve the devices inside the engine, the valve cover baffles etc. I think using an external device should ideally by a temporary thing, to help to identify improvements done with the VC baffles and the intake baffle etc. I look forward to any gains and new ideas, I hope that helps.

I like the idea of an oil separator, but I would love to improve the devices inside the engine, the valve cover baffles etc. I think using an external device should ideally by a temporary thing, to help to identify improvements done with the VC baffles and the intake baffle etc. I look forward to any gains and new ideas, I hope that helps.
Best part is if I remove the throttle body I can just stick my arm in there and Check for oil :)

I moved my preoiler today
the angle it was at ....just not working out got tired of it
I put it behind the bumper driver's side

20210810_181929.jpg

Lol belt slip
I've had the belt off so Many times
I just bought the tool $35
I got a better belt

Problem solved .....for now ...

20210813_174650.jpg

20210813_184236.jpg

20210813_184745.jpg

My son wanted to protect the brass and the gauge From rain
on the preoilers new location
He made a shield out of the original radiator air dam

20210816_165500.jpg

20210816_165438.jpg

EDIT EPIC FAILURE no changes
The intake temp endeavor continues

The egr dumps lots of very hot gases I want the exhaust gas but not the heat
I started thinking egr cooling

Some red neck engineers that we are

We aren't looking for beauty if it works with a few changes ill keep it

Here are some pictures
20210829_110932.jpg
20210829_111643.jpg
20210829_131419.jpg

20210829_131509.jpg

1630261986486.png

Original tube

20210829_172532.jpg

I don't know if it will be an issue but you might get oil/water pooling in the coils the way it is configured. A spiral that is constantly rising in elevation would let any substantial amount of oil drain back. Or maybe splice in a catch can? There probably isn't enough oil in exhaust gas to worry about. It looks like the cooling might be happening since the first part of the hose appears to be brown from seeing a higher temperature. The latter part looks to be more silver and less "burned."

I also had a thought that using AC ducting with the cooling fins might be an effective way to dissipate heat. that is if the aluminum could withstand living in the engine bay. I like your creativity and I think it will make a difference.

I don't know if it will be an issue but you might get oil/water pooling in the coils the way it is configured. A spiral that is constantly rising in elevation would let any substantial amount of oil drain back. Or maybe splice in a catch can? It looks like the cooling might be happening since the first part of the hose appears to be brown from seeing a higher temperature. The latter part looks to be more silver and less "burned."

I also had a thought that using AC ducting with the cooling fins might be an effective way to dissipate heat. that is if the aluminum could withstand living in the engine bay. I like your creativity and I think it will make a difference.
Good thought
Ill have to check for liquid after a few hundred miles
I'm also going to check the temps with my sct software
I have tons of data logs to compare

Good thought
Ill have to check for liquid after a few hundred miles
I'm also going to check the temps with my sct software
I have tons of data logs to compare
I do think it will make a difference from just looking at the discolorization of the tubing. Every little bit helps and might add up to what might be a decent result. I bet you could use a laser thermometer to get temp readings on various parts of the tubing to see how effective it is.

Monitor what the IAT temps are during both normal conditions when the EGR is open a lot, and the difference when pushing into the throttle a lot. Typically the EGR should not really affect the IAT's enough to hurt performance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Typically the EGR should not really affect the IAT's enough to hurt performance.
My thoughts to
I'm going to find out

If I'm rite every degree I can drop before the blower
Equals even more temp drop because of compression
I think

Anyway its a experiment
Btw folks don't use copper on egr stuff. SS only

Back