Supercharger VS. Bolt ons & Intarnals | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Supercharger VS. Bolt ons & Intarnals

So I, Like most people on this forum would always like more power :p: , I would love to fully Rebuild on beast of a motor but I don't have the money for that...

These are relating to a 99' Explorer 5.0L 4r70w w/AWD, but will be true 4x4 before ethier setup...

(Setup 1)
So I looked into ethier boosting via turbo or S/C
Looked at STS but with offroading ruled that out...
Looked at mulitple setups with Superchargers and I figured that If I do end up boosting it I would prolly go with a Ford Racing Centrifugal supercharger @6psi, just because it is a decent price and it is a kit built just for the 5.0L Explorers.
Kit off of SummitRacing.com start at about 2k

OR...

(Setup 2)
Should I Look into adding a few more bolt-ons and internals such as cam and new rollers. If I went this route (as of now) I would prolly just use an e303 cam, 1.6 or 1.7 rollers with new valve covers, 1" intake spacer, TM headers, and pick up a Xcal 2
Full setup from SummitRacing.com for cam, rollers, intake spacer, and all the gear to go with that comes to about 1k + TMH and Xcal2 with custom tunes = about 2k also
but all of this stuff (from second setup) can usually be found off of Ebay or EF for a cheaper amount...

So these are ideas of mine right now, not full out plans...

What kind of numbers (Hp and Torque) can I be looking at for both setups?

Any out-weighing benifits that you guys can think of going with one setup over the other?

Any Other mods that I should add in to help out ethier setup (Ex: Bigger fuel pump, injectors, shift kit, Etc...)

I would be able to install the Supercharger as a kit, but I have never been "inside" a motor that deep so I would be looking for some guidiance on the second setup for sure...

Though I have not hit the track this year my truck is easily good enough for 11's in the 1/4 mile now. I ran into a small leak that I wanted to get corrected before going to the track. Ended up getting busy with other large projects instead. This winter the leak will be fixed.

All I have to say is I hate you...:p: I was just messing obviously, infact quite the oppisite...Can't wait to see some numbers and vids

I have been to the track this year. I never made a full throttle pass due to some trans tuning issues. I was letting out half track-completely and still trapped 4mph less than I did with the 8.27 run, all this was with 2# less boost. I believe I will be low 12's once I get my bugs worked out. Up to this point I am not happy with the tight converter. I will hope it'll loosen up slightly once it gets a few miles on it. But if it doesn't a looser converter (about 200-250 rpm looser)will be in short order.-j

Back