Suspension Upgrade Options for Armored '13 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Suspension Upgrade Options for Armored '13 Explorer

JUAN DELGADO

Reaction score
City, State
Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Limited 3.5V6 AWD
Hi Guys,
First time around. I live in South America and own an Armored (LVL III+) 2013 Explorer Limited. I am looking into Suspension upgrades due to the fact the my SUV is a Civilian Armored Vehicle. Any recommendations on complete suspension reinforcement kits?
Happy Holidays!

I've seen some stuff for the 5gs, like suspension lift kits, lowering springs, and airbag suspensions, but there really don't seem to be any heavy duty driveline upgrades available like there are for other vehicles. I know pretty much any vehicle can be up-armored, but BOF SUVs seem to be the most popular (Tahoe/Suburban) with the most options compared to unibody vehicles.

I would touch base with the company that did the up-armoring and ask them. Usually some sort of run flats and suspension upgrades are part of the package and suspension upgrades are often required due to the added weight of ballistic panels and glass.

I've only ever seen one civilian armored vehicle and I believe it was done by The Armor Group. They have offices all over the world. "Upgraded suspension system" is a feature on their rifle rated up-armored Explorer, so maybe they can help with details and whatnot.

ETA: I don't believe 3+ is a normal armor standard - usually level 3 or 4 or B4-7 are most common for vehicles. Panels/glass/blast proof roof/floor/fuel tank liner/etc... What kind of up-armoring do you have? How much armor weight was added to vehicle? Any pics? Can you share cost? Last I remember, really low end with just panels in the doors was ~$5-10K, low end full armor was ~$100K+ and B6/B7 level was ~$250K+.

Hi Guys,
First time around. I live in South America and own an Armored (LVL III+) 2013 Explorer Limited. I am looking into Suspension upgrades due to the fact the my SUV is a Civilian Armored Vehicle. Any recommendations on complete suspension reinforcement kits?
Happy Holidays!
That is very neat.
Would you mind posting some pictures of your armored EX?

Back