• Register Today It's free!

Swap 1998 Limited Frame w/5.0?

fordmanfox

Reaction score
City, State
South West Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
First time posting, long time reading. I might have the chance to get a totaled 1998 limited with a 5.0, my question is will that frame fit under my 1994 4x4 XLT? would this be harder then doing a straight V8 swap (read lots of threads on V8 swaps)? my ultimate goal is to have a V8 and a Solid axle front end, all these could be done (add a D44 SAS) on the new frame while still driving my Ex every day. Tips? Threads? :D

Why is the limited totaled? Honestly, anything can be done depending on how much you want to spend & how much work you're willing to do. IMO I would rather do a V8 swap if you have the engine, rad, tranny, ect. (just need the conversion parts) than try and swap the whole body & making it fit and work and be safe. I would do a 2 or 3" body lift to allow room for a V8 swap (not necessary but easier) and then after that swap in the solid axle (which would again be a little easier with a body lift).

have you decided anything on this Fordman?? I am building a similar 1994 xlt with a 1997 wrecked donor. I took the body off the frame, installed a 4.0 sohc and trans from the '97,and welded in the firewall from the '97. This gives you the clearance for either the 4.0 sohc, or the 5.0 , by letting you use the heater box from the newer explorer. I am also retaining and installing the '97 dash, wiring and interior from the '97. This is not a quick swap by any means.

Back