• Register Today It's free!

swap 5.0 and t-56

onesmartidiot

Reaction score
City, State
Reynoldsburg OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Sport 2wd 5spd
I have been wishing over the years that my X would grow more power, with my stock 4.0 hitting the 200k mark I'd like to get a grocery list together to complete my v8 swap.

My X is a 1999 factory 5 speed 4.0 OHV.

I would like to pick up a explorer 5.0 motor from the parts yard and hot it up a little bit. (would have to get a 1998 or 1999 i think)

I already have a 5 speed mazda trans, would like a t56. I have found the 94-95 camaro/firebird ones are some of the stronger "450 tq" ones. Not sure what is involved with getting the shifter into the right factory position.

Obviously my driveshaft would need some work, and I am also trying to find a D2/D4 axle to make things more interesting.

There are so many posts on the different trans that folks go with. I know the m50d r2 would probably bolt up pretty easily, but have read its more of the same with what I have. My M5od has served well over the last 8 years of abuse/towing but it is far from smooth shifting. But I want to make a platform that will accept a power adder down the road.

I know theres many v8 swap threads going around here, but most go with the 4r70 auto which it seems is the easiest way out.

Also the T5 sounds like it will grenade under a 4000+ lb explorer.

Any tips would be awesome, I am still cruising the bajizzion posts related to v8 swaps to see if I can find more minor details to keep in mind. thanks

Back