Swap Help

SOHCem

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT SOHC
Hey guys, I haven't been on in a while.

Anyway I thought the pros here could shed some light on a project.

I am looking to buy a wrecked 98 4.0 sport 4x4 with 5 spd.

I have a 98 4.0 4 door 4x4 auto.

how hard/intensive would the swap be? Will all the parts pretty much interchange? Pedals, crossmembers, etc...

Would it even be worth it?

I know I have read some threads here about how weak the autos are, so im thinking the 5 speed would be a nice alternative.

Any help or light you guys can shed would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Sean

I, too, have read alot about how weak the auto tranny is. I would think that everything would unbolt/rebolt on since I would find it very difficult to believe that Ford made anything different, frame or cabin wise, on the two models. You may have to change the module so the truck doesn't think it has an automatic tranny in it, but I am not sure about this. BUT, you will have the whole other junker truck anyway, so you would have every part you need.
Good Luck

The auto tranny is questionable some of us have good luck with'em some of us don't. The 5spd will swap over. Going by your info I see that you have the SOHC in your 98 and there were not any 5spd SOHC 4 door ex's only OHV so if you were to go this route you would need to have your computer re-flashed for the 5spd transmission. Everything is swap-able.

Back