• Register Today It's free!

Engine swap questions

Blm122

Reaction score
City, State
Ocala, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0
I had found this here before but haven't had luck recently. I have a 96 with the 4.0 OHV and am thinking about dropping in the SOHC from a 98 or 99. Is this something that can be done without major issues? Id like to grab the 5 speep auto trans as well. 5r-something? Looking for some direction guys. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can you get a whole 98 or 99 Ex with the standard trans, pats stuff, wiring, etc?

Keeping the ecm from the donor would be best, but you might have an issue with return style fuel system to returnless, pats system to deal with wiring, and on it goes. That would be to do it right.

I've heard some guys have swapped an ohv in to a sohc chassis and its worked, but I doubt it worked great. I'd say the same will happen in reverse without swapping pcm, wiring, fuel system, and pats support stuff.

I have not done this myself, but these are all things you will need to consider. Very doable, but a full donor truck would make the swap a piece of cake with some labour.

Why a SOHC? If I was doing it, I'd do the V8, the SOHC has a horrible reputation and the scrap yards here are full of Explorers with no reverse or blown motors.

Damn I didn't realize they had a bad rep. I just looked the extra horsepower without the added w weight of the V8. Seemed to be a more efficient engine but if it's unbreakable then scree that. I'd rather go for the V8. Doing a donor didn't sound like a terrible idea if I tried it.

But honestly, the reverse is about to cut on mine already. The trans isn't holding well and it seems to be due to still rolling while switching girls. The shift to Drive isnt good either.

But honestly, the reverse is about to cut on mine already. The trans isn't holding well and it seems to be due to still rolling while switching girls. The shift to isnt good either.

You really should pull over somewhere safe and come to a complete stop before you switch girls.

My phone has some aggressive autocorrect haha. Meant gears

Damn I didn't realize they had a bad rep. I just looked the extra horsepower without the added w weight of the V8. Seemed to be a more efficient engine but if it's unbreakable then scree that. I'd rather go for the V8. Doing a donor didn't sound like a terrible idea if I tried it.

You don't mention if you have a 2wd or 4wd.
The V8 only comes in 2wd and AWD, if you want 4wd with a 2 speed transfer case you need the SOHC.
There are ways to get a 4wd transfer case behind an 8 though.

All the problems with the SOHC and the 5R55E can be fixed and gotten around and the hardest part is pulling the engine and or trans to do it.

If you were to install new timing chains, guides and tensioners using upgraded parts the SOHC will keep on going.

You don't mention if you have a 2wd or 4wd.
The V8 only comes in 2wd and AWD, if you want 4wd with a 2 speed transfer case you need the SOHC.
There are ways to get a 4wd transfer case behind an 8 though.

All the problems with the SOHC and the 5R55E can be fixed and gotten around and the hardest part is pulling the engine and or trans to do it.

If you were to install new timing chains, guides and tensioners using upgraded parts the SOHC will keep on going.

Sorry, yep have the 4WD. What are the main issues with them? Having a hard time finding one of these engines that doesn't have 100k on it already so I wonder what issues to be looking for.

i don't really want a 100k engine but wouldn't be surprised if the best I find is around 70k. This will be my first swap, so I've got a lot to learn for sure.

Sorry, yep have the 4WD. What are the main issues with them? Having a hard time finding one of these engines that doesn't have 100k on it already so I wonder what issues to be looking for.

The SOHC engine? Pretty much the only issue is the timing chain assembly, and that can be bad but fixable.
As I said, the biggest part of the job and the most expensive is pulling the engine out to get to the rear chain.
So if you do the chains when the engine is out it's much cheaper.

I think my SOHC had about 250,000kms on it when I did my chains, there was no discernable wear in the bores but I've always used good oil.

Another thing is the intake manifold seals, a problem it shares with the OHV engine.

Back