Swapped '01 5R55E with another '01 5R55E, but they aren't compatible. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Swapped '01 5R55E with another '01 5R55E, but they aren't compatible.

Silver X

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Brownstown Twp, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Sport 4x4
:help:
WTF? How many different variations of 5R55E 4x4 transmissions are there?

I'm in the middle of replacing the trans in my '01 Sport 4x4. I got another 5R55E out of an '01 Explorer 4x4 with a 4.0L SOHC (probably 4dr) from a junk yard going out of business. I made sure the replacement trans was from an '01 with low mileage to try to minimize the chance of problems!

I got it into the truck and bolted everything up. Went to hook up the wiring harness, but there was an extra connector hanging from the truck. Looked at the old trans and found an extra sensor on the drivers side near the middle of the case. I'm guessing its a VSS or something. The new trans has the boss on the side, but isn't machined for the sensor.

So I had to remove everything again and need to figure out what to do.

The reason for replacing the old trans is because it started pouring trans fluid out the front of the bellhousing whenever the truck was running. I'm thinking blown pump seal. The torque convertor was also shot for a long time before that. Truck wouldn't start moving until 3k rpm and convertor wouldn't lock up when cruising. The trans also had the 2-3 flare again. It has been rebuilt twice already, so I wanted to start fresh.

Since the new one is mostly the same and has extremely low miles (11k miles), can I just use some of it's parts to fix my original one (103k miles)? I'm hoping to swap over the valve body, pump, and convertor from the new trans. Should I mess with anything else? Would I need to change anything else? I know there are some differences inside, but not sure what. I really don't want to get too deep into it, since I've never messed with an auto trans before.

If I should just find yet another trans, what models of Explorer have what I need? Is the '01+ Sport/Sport Trac 4x4 trans unique? Is it shared with the '01+ 4.0L SOHC Ranger 4x4? This is extremely frustrating! :banghead:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here are pics of the transmissions.

Trans from my '01 Sport:
2440736_10_full.jpg

Replacement trans from '01 Explorer:
2440736_11_full.jpg

'00 Explorer 5R55E trans doesn't even have the boss in the casting:
2440736_12_full.jpg

So does this mean he needed a 98, 99, 00 trans (5R55E) to be fully compatible? Wonder how this trans would work in his truck if he simply didn't hook-up this sensor.

Thanks for the info. I looked at that list before, but thought #7 was just for '97 ODS sensor. Didn't notice the line under it was a seperate link.

So it looks like I can only use an '01+ 5R55E that has that sensor. The '01 trans I have won't work. And the '00 trans I have won't work. I'll have to find another '01+ 5R55E and make sure it has all the correct sensors. I don't really want to take a chance and shunt the wires. According to that link, it looks like I'd get harsh 2-3 shifts if it doesn't have communication with that sensor to read the actual speed. I've had enough trans problems with this truck already and just want to get the correct parts in there.

Why would this replacement '01 trans not have the ISS? Was this a mid-year change? Maybe only certain models got it? The article says the 5R44E has it from the beginning of the '01 production run, but isn't as clear for the 5R55E. Just says they will have it for '01. This obviously isn't always the case since this '01 doesn't have one.

Just want to know exactly what to get in case I have to buy another trans and have it shipped without being able to look at it.

What's the build date of your truck?

Not sure. Have to check when I get home from work.

I'm still considering swapping some of the internals from the new case to the old. I'd get the 5R55E rebuild manual I found on ebay if I go this route. All those little parts in there scare me though since I have zero experience with them. Also hoping there aren't any other problems with the old trans. So far, I've sunk $1k (2 transmissions + 400 mile round trip, gaskets, filter, drain plug, etc) into this swap and really don't want to keep throwing more money at it if I can help it. The extra '00 5R55E will just be put up for sale and hopefully I can get some of that money back.

Wife is already pissed at me for keeping the truck instead of trading it in on my G6. I'll need to get an engine and new body mounts for this thing soon too.:mad:

I'm sorry to hear that Ford did it again with another mid year change. I would pull apart the original trans and if it looked good, swap in the other guts.

The key is that you need to eliminate debris from the radiator and cooler lines. Any debris can make the next trans fail faster. I think that you will be able to use what is different in your trans regarding that sensor. Consult with Chris here, ask him what else you might do while inside them. I'd want to install a valve body kit and the few Sonnax upgrade items also. Good luck,

In prep for the trans swap, I flushed the cooler and lines and added a remote filter. On the replacement trans, I adjusted the bands, retorqued the valvebody, replaced the internal filter and pan gasket, and added a drain plug.

I left the solenoids alone since they were nearly new, hoping they'd last awhile. I might go ahead and replace them with the new updated parts (especially EPC) if I end up swapping parts over instead of getting another trans. Probably go ahead and get the Trans-go or Superior valve body kit too. Wasn't sure which one to get though.

Most have chosen the Superior kit, their's is simpler. The EPC is over $100, if the mileage is that low it should be good enough. A PCM reprogramming can help shifting a lot, unfortunately the initial cost of a flasher etc. is not cheap. I would suggest the Sonnax parts, and VB kit the most, there are several and the total should be under $100.

Thanks! Any idea what the part # is and a good place to get the Superior kit?

I already have an Xcal2 that includes trans adjustments in the programs from Bamachips. Unfortunately, it has been hard to get ahold of him to get anything updated. I was planning to eventually have James write me some new programs because of the change to 33" tires and to adjust a few other things. Trans adjustments will be included for sure.

Add another $100 for VB upgrades and $100+ for new programs to this ongoing list!

The VB kits for the 5R's are about $40, most all trans parts shops carry them. Browse through Chris's(Glacier) threads about the 5R, he goes over most of it. I had chosen the TransGo kit before he began that, it worked for me. BTW, I like the EPC which was tested by an aftermarket company with us on the forum. If you could get that, it would be worth it.

I was hoping to get in on that EPC test, but my truck was having problems. I didn't know when I'd be able to work on it, so didn't want to commit to the evaluation.

Anyway, I talked to my wife and we agreed to use the transmissions I have. I'm going to pick up this manual and maybe this VB kit, then try to rebuild this myself. I'll likely be on here asking for help too.

Now I need to get out and clean up the garage. There's a nice mess all over the new concrete. Trans fluid was all over the bottom of the truck from driving it with the leak, so it was dripping from everywhere.

Sounds good, and for the ATF stain, clean it with engine degreaser, avoid the harsh stuff like carburetor cleaner. ATF stains outside eventually go away in the weather.

I plan to use the converter that came with the trans. My original one is junk. I've been wanting to replace it for a year now.

Industrial garage floor cleaner will be used on the cement floor. I get it cheap from my brother's supply company. The driveway is gravel, no worries there. The house is only a year old, but the garage floor is already covered in oil and trans fluid stains. Awhile ago, I knocked over a drain pan full of diff lube which stained the floor really bad. Its time for some scrubbing.

Alright, time to dig into this thing. I got the Superior VB kit and the ATSG 5R55E rebuild manual. I really hope this turns out to be as easy as it looks.

After a quick glance through the manual, it looks like I can pull the bellhousing and pump off in one piece and not have to worry about shims or anything besides seals/gaskets. Should be a straight forward swap. The VB swap and upgrades aren't too bad. Then the torque convertor is a straight swap of course too. I'll read the manual again to make sure of everything. I'm keeping the rest of the new trans intact and wrapped in plastic in case I need parts later.

Was planning to start working on this tomorrow, but I just broke a tooth in half while eating dinner. They whole side of it came right off down to the gums. Now I have to spend tomorrow evening at the dentist. Well, hopefully they can get me in that soon with no notice. Sucks, because I just got a new filling in that tooth a couple of months ago. And I got a crown put on the molar in front of it a couple of weeks ago.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well my tooth is fubar. Had to get a root canal today. Gotta go back next week to have it finished. The dentist gave me a couple prescriptions for Tylenol 3 and Motrin 800, because this will hurt like hell once the novacaine wears off. He said I'll have to take them just to be able to sleep. Great.

I better be feeling good tomorrow. I need to get the truck finished ASAP.

Back