Swapping my two front seats with each other... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Swapping my two front seats with each other...

Kovalchuk

Reaction score
City, State
OTTAWA, ON
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLT Loaded
Hey guys,

I have a 2003 XLT with a power driver's seat and a manual passenger seat. I wanted to switch the two seats to even up the wear on both as I have leather cracking on the outside of each. By swapping them the cracking will be hidden on each seat.

Has anyone done this??? Is it possible? Is their a power hook-up on the manual seat?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Switching the seats is not possible. But you may be able to switch just the leather cover from the base of each seat. I've taken the base leather cover off before and put it back on. Its a pain to do but it is possible.

Switching the seats is not possible. But you may be able to switch just the leather cover from the base of each seat. I've taken the base leather cover off before and put it back on. Its a pain to do but it is possible.

Umm have you read the other thread at the top of the page? You can swap seats with something from another explorer. Read the thread Need cool new seats for more info.

No- He wants to put the passenger side leather cover on the driver's side seat and vice versa to equalize the wear, not swap seats from another vehicle.

Check the leather cut pattern on the seat bottoms for the side consoles, etc- sometimes the cuts are way off. Also, do you have airbags in your seat sides? I don't know how they are on there, maybe they're in the pillars instead?

So the entire seats cannot be switched then... that sucks. I had seen a thread about that process in an older vehicle.

Sorry, I misunderstood. Why dont you just go to target and spend about $30 on seat covers?

It does suck- most passenger seats are mint- but the power control cutouts make it near impossible to swap and look good.

As for the seatcovers, eh- for me, they just look tacky. But I'm a stock look guy. :)

x2 on that Joe Dirt, in my opinion seat covers are tacky as hell. None look good on a seat, I dont care what you say. Until they have one that literally is for YOUR seat only, which means theres 3 pieces, one for the ass, one for the back and one for the headrest, I will never even consider buying one. Even though my seat in my 92 is ripped where my ass goes, I deal with it.

LOL

I deff. would have thought he couldda swapped seats. he doesnt wanna trade covers, he wants his passenger seat to be the drivers seat now and vice versa.

^My sister has ones like that in her hyundai. Its a single piece where the seat is but there is a seperate head rest one and the seat looks seperated. She should be here in a hour if I remember and Im not too drunk I'll take a pic.

You should be able so take the seat off of the track and switch them i would think. Just unbolt the track off of the seat and switch seats. That is of course if the seat doesn't have air bags in the bolster. I would maybe call a dealer and see if the seat itself is generic and if the track is what differentiates the two.

Sorry never got the pics, I remembered but she came in her fiances frontier.

Hey guys,

I have a 2003 XLT with a power driver's seat and a manual passenger seat. I wanted to switch the two seats to even up the wear on both as I have leather cracking on the outside of each. By swapping them the cracking will be hidden on each seat.

Has anyone done this??? Is it possible? Is their a power hook-up on the manual seat?

I noticed..that to save some $$... ford did not use Leather on the inside vertical side of the seats. So the part that touches the console, is fabric.
If you switch them, the fabric will show and leather will touch the console.

I noticed..that to save some $$... ford did not use Leather on the inside vertical side of the seats. So the part that touches the console, is fabric.
If you switch them, the fabric will show and leather will touch the console.

I noticed this as well... but thought the fabric/velvet stuff might actually be more resistant to cracking etc.

Maybe I will check out a custom upholstery shop and see what they will charge... seems like it would be expensive.

Just get a drivers side seat from the Export (RHD) explorers - that will be a powered seat on the passenger side then. You could use the passenger seat from the same Export car for the driver's side.

Just get a drivers side seat from the Export (RHD) explorers - that will be a powered seat on the passenger side then. You could use the passenger seat from the same Export car for the driver's side.

Like a seat from cars made for the UK??? I may as well just buy new Explorer seats then no??? Kind of confused...

Like a seat from cars made for the UK??? I may as well just buy new Explorer seats then no??? Kind of confused...

Yep.

You're confused? I'm sitting here wondering what's wrong with seat covers?

i use the $20 cheap water proof seat covers in my truck just because the leather would get wrecked after a long day of muddy riding on the atvs. other then that i don't like them

have you cleaned and confitioned the leather?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back