• Register Today It's free!

Sway bars question ?????

Nonoy

Reaction score
City, State
Suffolk, Long Island, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 SOH XLT Contoltract
I've been wanting to order/install front and rear sway bars in my 1997 Explorer. Is it worth it? I'm planning to order the sway bars from Explorer Express. How's the improvements? Comments will be appreciated.

------------------
1997 XLT, V6 SOHC
NY State of Mind

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 98 sport and installed the rear sway bar from Explorer Express. All I can say is, WOW. It made a HUGE difference in handling. Not only did it help cornering, but it also seemed to make the suspension stiffer all around. You'll be taken corners faster than you thought you ever would in an SUV.

Excellent investment. Just remember to disconnect them whenever you do any "Serious Explorations."

------------------
1992 Explorer XL
4.0 L V6 5 Speed Manual

I have the explorer express rear bar on my '99 sport,and all I can say is,DO NOT USE THE EXISTING NUT/CLIPS AND BOLTS FROM THE OLD BAR like we are supposed to. go get some larger stainless hardware,and don't even use the spacers,they keep the clamps from tightening up enough.with everythung tight,the bar shifted about a month later,and the leaf grabbed the end of my new bar and mangled the clamps,Expl. exprs. made good on them.but my point was for the expense of that bar,include some solid hardware,and don't have us use the old cheap,
clips and tiny threaded bolts.

------------------
Bill
'99 sport,sohc,4X4
T/A,ko's (255/70's)
kkm-true rev,superchip
bilsteins

I almost forgot!!!
once I got everthing solid the second time around,WOW....it realy helps when cornering.
a very heavy bar!!!.
Billy

The X-spec bars from Explorer Express are excellent. I have both on my '96 and it helped out alot. I say go for it.

William, did you buy the split collets when you installed your rear swaybar? It sounds like that was your problem, if the bar shifted and hit the leafs.

Bill, could you be more specific of what hardware to use? Do you mean stainless bolts? I am ready to go upstairs and get my credit card to order the sway bars. I have a 1997 therefore, I will be needing the front and the rear. Explorer express said that the front is made of hollow tubes unlike the 1998 and recent models.

------------------
1997 XLT, V6 SOHC
NY State of Mind

OK, Dead Link Removed I ordered the sway bars Front and Rear. The online order price is $278.+ the catalog price is $259.+ I gave them a call and she gave me the catalog price. I can't wait! it will take 6 days!!!

------------------
1997 XLT, V6 SOHC
NY State of Mind

Back