Switch from Syn oil to regular oil | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Switch from Syn oil to regular oil

dallas924x4

Reaction score
I switched my oil to synthetic(mobil one) about 3-4 months ago(45k miles on truck). Since then very slow leak from head gaskets. Nothing hits the floor, usually burns off on the exhaust manifold.

My question: is anyone aware of any problems with switching back to standard oil, ei. valve problems, etc...? and if no problems, anyone think that could stop leak?

Many Thanks,

I had the same problem. I switched back to conventional with no problems that was 25K miles ago, I also used a little degreaser to clean where the leaks were. No more oil has leaked since the switchback, I put 1 quart of Mobil1 in at every oil change, usually 4k intervals.

i know for a fact that you can change and even mix half and half if you want. I know that syn oil will seep past older gaskets on higher milage engines, but usually the syn's upside will outweigh the downsides. I use syn in everything on my truck except steering fluid and brake fluid.

My experience has been that synthetic oil will frequently find someplace to seep out, even on a new vehicle. Take comfort in the fact that the synthetic oil can get into places that conventional oils cannot. Stick with the synthetic!

Back