Switch in shifter column..... | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Switch in shifter column.....

I can't help but to the think the switch itself is somehow important. It's built like a relay almost, with all the plasticy rubbery type of filling. It won't release the key together, apart, together and touching a ground...it's just weird. It does seem like the two blue sensors have a dedicated harness that clips in under the lower column shroud, so who knows. I'm gonna try and pull the whole thing from a junkyard Saturday and see what I see.

I agree it's just a switch. Close the circuit and it should release the key, but nope. I have to pull the ignition switch or the negative battery connection (so definitely electrical)
Did you check it for 12v on the input of the switch?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What I found out at that switch, is it's not necessary. I had the same issue. Maybe this is the wrong way to go about it, I don't know,

BUT, if you just clip the 2 wires, cap them off, your key will come out. no more issues for me so far

might save you 80 bucks and a pain in the butt. It did for me

Well, i heard that may be the case, but my shifter does not move without the key, in an 02 explorer with those wires being clipped from the switch and capped off

Well, i heard that may be the case, but my shifter does not move without the key, in an 02 explorer with those wires being clipped from the switch and capped off
I tried that too, so now I'm looking at the tumbler with some suspicion

Just to be clear, mine works just fine just eliminating the switch, and I have had no related issues

If you were to clip the 2 wires, and connect them together, you would still have the same problem, But, if you just get rid of the switch, at least in my circumstance, it eliminates the problem

I'll be damned if that didn't work. I was assuming the circuit had to be closed, not open, but the key comes right out now. Thanks!

I thought the same thing and connected them together first, before I figured it out, glad it worked!

I am also looking for shifter micro switch ABJ19151 Ford Explorer 2002 XLT V8
They are obsolete from Panasonic, and do NOT to have a substitute part for this. I have looked in the junk yards and talked to 20 people or more.
Ford didn't have even a part number, and really didn't care if I found one or not. Its a molded push fit housing switch fitting into a place on the steering column.
This is safety hazard if the right switch is not installed property. I have not found a kit, or any kind of assembly for this problem.
Ford sucks for stuff like this.

Back